At Loblaw Digital, we know that our customers expect the best from us. Whether that means building the best, most innovative online shopping experiences, or designing an app that will impact the lives of people across the country, we’re up for the challenge. Loblaw Digital is the team responsible for building and operating the online businesses of Canada’s largest and most successful retailer. Based in downtown Toronto, we are an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and collaborative team working towards transforming the way Canadians shop by creating leading eCommerce experiences in the online grocery shopping, beauty, pharmacy, loyalty, and apparel spaces, and we’re only just getting started! To achieve these goals, we are looking for talented and passionate individuals who want to collaborate and solve challenging problems and make significant and lasting impact on Canadians.
The impact you’ll make
PC Optimum is Canada’s largest loyalty program with over 18 million subscribers. It is the core program tying together our E-commerce businesses. As such, we are aiming to raise Digital engagement across all our products leveraging PCO as the central anchor. We’re aiming to make our app and website a daily resource for Canadians, providing valuable information with personalized content experience.
As a Web Staff Developer on the PCO team, you will be responsible for technical architecture and strategic direction for the loyalty program Web application. You will work with key stakeholders both internal and external to the program including partners of the business to drive digital convergence initiatives, providing valuable guidance to our cross functional feature development teams. You are a visionary and thought leader keeping an eye on what is next on the horizon both from a technical and business value perspective.
What You’ll Do
- Take ownership of a cross-cutting technical domain – Web development
- Define a vision for the Web domain
- Build strong relationships and respect to execute on your vision
- Lead by example, building great software
- Continuing mentoring, especially senior developers
- Perform code reviews specific to Web development
- Own coding and quality standards of Web development
- Ensure compliance of best practices and policies in Web development
- Assist and support other Staff Developers and Engineering Managers in developing solutions for business issues.
Does this sound like you?
- 10+ years in software development
- 5+ years in software architecture and design
- Wide experience in enterprise eCommerce or similar applications
- Experience in architecting and building scalable highly available SaaS applications
- Expert in most of the following:
- ES6, webpack, babel
- Node.js, Next.js, express
- React, redux, redux-thunk
- SCSS, BEM
- Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
- CI/CD experience (GitLab IC)
- Partner with other teams on tech-debt, improvements and commonalities in approach
- Evaluate new technologies, tools, design and development patterns pertaining to Web development.
- Perform code reviews across all teams for Web features. This includes training other talents to help with peer-reviews, but alternately you are responsible for the code quality for Web across all teams
- Build and advocate for code standards
- Own the overall architecture of the Web application
- Provide and maintain technical documentation regarding coding standards, design patterns, and architecture decisions
How you’ll succeed
At Loblaw Digital, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections. We’re able to keep innovating because our colleagues are passionate about their work and excited about the future of eCommerce. You will get to work with some of the best digital minds and will have the support of world class technologies to craft products our customers will love!
Loblaw Digital recognizes Canada’s diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired. In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.