At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities’ unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We’re a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that’s critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
The Stantec Urban Water Resources Team is seeking a Project Technical Lead to support the delivery of a wide range of urban drainage, collection system and water distribution system projects. It will involve technical team leadership, quality assurance, project management, and business development related to surface drainage/collection system/flood remediation and water distribution projects, including data analytics, field investigation oversight, geospatial analysis, hydrologic/hydraulic modelling, performance assessment, master planning, risk management, functional design, reporting and liaison with clients, other offices and staff.
Working with the Engineering Discipline Lead in Stantec’s Urban Water Resources Group, the successful individual will help develop and grow a team of urban water resources specialists, lead/support business development activities and projects, will be self-motivated, stay abreast of advances in the industry, and demonstrate an ability to work with others in a variety of project delivery, technical, leadership, mentorship and client outreach roles.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Lead and participate in a wide variety of urban water resources projects, from planning and conceptual design through detailed design, implementation and operational support
- Supervise the work of other staff, including setting the priorities for their scope of work, their budgets and their schedules for completing the work in conjunction with Project Manager(s) and Engineering Discipline Lead(s)
- May perform or assist other Project Managers and/or Project Technical Leads with managing and monitoring financial performance of project budgets
- Manage and coach junior staff, including technical training
- Provide technical leadership for urban water resources projects and pursuits, including the management of existing client relationships and bringing in new clients
- Oversee/review the development of surface drainage, sewer collection, and water distribution system hydrologic/hydraulic models to assess performance, investigate deficiencies and generate/evaluate feasible remedial solutions
- Plan, commission, manage, undertake field investigations in support of hydraulic model builds and conceptual/functional designs
- Manage, analyze, and interpret large geospatial data sets, including design and application of databases, queries, and programming scripts to support planning, operation and design projects
- Work collaboratively with other planning/design/field project team members across the Stantec international community
- Clear communication of results/interpretations via technical reporting and presentations
- For someone with an interest in pursuing urban water resources work, this is an exceptional opportunity to bring your capability to the Water Group and join a highly regarded and professional team.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Sound understanding of water and environmental related principles and engineering concepts, including hydraulics and hydrology
- Commitment to client satisfaction and the delivery of high-quality work products
- Advanced capability and direct experience with industry standard hydraulic/hydrologic tools/models, including InfoWorks CS/ICM (1D and 2D), InfoSWMM, InfoWater, PCSWMM, and ArcGIS, etc., and/or a willingness to independently learn
- Highly skilled in common desktop packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams, Project, etc.)
- Organized and self-motivated individual with initiative and attention to detail
- Capacity to effectively multi-task and work in a fast-paced consulting environment
- Ability to effectively communicate (written/oral) technical concepts/results/interpretations to a broad range of individuals including project managers, clients, junior staff, and community stakeholders
- Interest in authoring technical papers at Regional and/or National forums
Education and Experience
Water Resources Engineering or equivalent accredited university degree with major in Water Resources/Municipal Engineering with a minimum of 7 years of experience in the planning and design of municipal water, wastewater, storm water management, or water resources.
Registered with PEO in good standing, or eligible to apply for P.Eng. preferred. Consideration will be given to candidates with other qualifications and experience in water resources.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 200001R4
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans