Broadridge Financial Solutions, Inc. (BR), a $4 billion global Fintech leader and part of the S&P 500® Index, is a leading provider of investor communications and technology-driven solutions to banks, broker-dealers, asset and wealth managers and corporate issuers. At Broadridge, we do well by doing good. Our unique culture is guided by the Service-Profit Chain-the idea that success is mutual, directly connecting employee engagement, client satisfaction, and the creation of stockholder value. We enable better financial lives by powering investing, governance, and communications for our clients, their customers, and the financial services industry.
The Vice President, Software Engineering is a strong leader who proactively initiate positive change within the Development Department and within Broadridge. Continuous improvement driving greater business value is critical. The leader will also manage multiple teams of application developers in delivering complex projects within the scheduled timeframe and within budget.
Key Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Provide motivation, coaching and feedback to development managers so that they successfully deliver projects under difficult deadlines. Recruit and train to build necessary competencies. Work to achieve strong culture and high morale with sense of accomplishment.
- Ensure regular software releases are delivered in time for adequate internal Quality Assurance and end user acceptance testing.
- Provide rapid budgeting of development requests as a service to Customer Service and the Product Department.
- Employ good systems practices for managing product development. Ensure there are structures in place to escalate and rapidly solve critical systems problems. Ensure practices and policies reflect the “mission critical” nature of the software and environment.
- Ensure customers receive new products, on time, that meet expectations, maintaining momentum during the pilot and implementation phases.
- Provide senior management with regular reports summarizing resource usage and progress on all significant departmental projects.
- Contribute to the product direction setting and decision making process in a fashion that moves Broadridge towards meeting its objectives.
- Provide feedback and input to the Product Department on all aspects of product development, including scheduling to allow the two departments to communicate effectively.
- Participate in the high level design process do discuss alternatives to business problems that will be used to provide technical solutions.
- Ensure the Development Department maximizes productivity over the long term by maintaining a sharp focus on tasks at hand through project management techniques, constantly upgrading the skills of developers and analysts and promoting quality software practices.
Basic Skill Level Requirements
- Bachelor or Graduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline
- Canadian Securities Course (CSC) or equivalent certification is an asset
- 7+ years in a technology leadership role influencing application developers
- 15+ years in web applications and/or software development
- Financial brokerage industry with particular focus on Wealth Management Account Opening and Client Onboarding an asset
- An ability to manage projects, and a successful track record of delivering increasingly complex projects while managing teams of multiple developers.
- Expertise in Agile and Waterfall development methodologies.
- An understanding of relational database design, combined with knowledge of the PROGRESS RDBMS and programming language, in character, GUI and Internet application uses.
- Advanced knowledge of the UNIX operating system.
- Working knowledge of Windows programming techniques.
- A functional understanding of brokerage industry concepts and an ability to apply those concepts when directing systems developers.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required.
- An ability to motivate and provide job satisfaction to diverse groups of technical employees.