Join our team
TELUS is currently searching for dynamic and enthusiastic individuals with strong analytical and interpersonal skills to join its National Technology Strategy Team as a Telecom Network and Infrastructure Engineer.
The TELUS Technology Strategy team is comprised of the TELUS technology teams, including network management (wireless and wireline), IT infrastructure management and corporate systems management.Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
In your role as Telecom Network Engineer, you will be expected to work in collaboration with internal and external teams. Your responsibility will be to design overhead and underground external telecommunications networks (fibre optics and copper). Projects will involve approval and certification of new point-to-point networks, planning and deployment of FTTH networks, as well as modernization or relocation of existing networks.
As Network Engineering Specialist you will
- Represent and act as an expert on the common standard committee with telecommunications and electricity companies in Quebec
- Validate, approve and certify plans and specifications for overhead and underground structures
- Perform site visits and be able to provide technical support as needed
- Coordinate with internal and external engineering teams and other multi-disciplinary teams
- Develop and follow up the budget
- Prepare studies, reports and technical specifications for external projects and be able to provide technical advice on the common standard with regard to permit applications for tenant projects
- Keep team members’ technical knowledge up to date and ensure that appropriate technologies are incorporated into the design
- Review the calculations performed by other team members and sign and seal them
- Supervise the work of external providers for large-scale projects
- Analyze specific customer requests
- Prepare information and coordinate external surveys
- Meet with various project stakeholders (MTQ, HQ, carriers, municipalities, real estate developers)
- Validate and sign Structural Utilization Grids (UDS) for load calculations
- Design telecommunication networks (cable, transmission equipment, mergers, etc.), following the client’s standards and equipment
- Design and coordinate plans for submitting requests to use existing infrastructure to owners of above-ground and underground structures
- Draft technical and economic feasibility studies
- Highly motivating, dynamic and collaborative work environment
- Ability to have a real impact on our results
- Transparent organizational structure in which you will have access to the leadership team
- Opportunity to give back to the community in which you live
- Work Styles program with the option to work in or outside the office
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Many exciting and stimulating opportunities and a broad range of diverse problems to solve
- Opportunity to work with people from all departments, business units and regions to solve problems
You’re the missing piece of the puzzle
The ideal candidate will be curious and not afraid to try different approaches to resolve a problem. The ability to see situations as a whole, while also paying close attention to the key elements that will bring each situation to life, will be essential.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- At least 5 years’ experience in Network Design Engineering
- Knowledge of telecommunications networks and aerial and underground infrastructure
- Knowledge of Hydro-Quebec B41.11 construction standards and other common standards (Hydro-Quebec, TELUS, etc.)
- Knowledge of SIMPAS or equivalent calculation software
- Recognized for excellent customer relations skills and professionalism.
- Organizational flexibility, tact and diplomacy
- Knowledge of AutoCAD software – Asset
- Available for occasional travel in Quebec
- Advanced spoken and written English
- University degree in electrical, civil or construction engineering
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years as a Network Engineer in similar roles, ideally in field assignments.
- Be a member in good standing of the Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec as Engineer
Who is TELUS?
We’re a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. Our competitive consumer offerings include wireline, wireless, internet and Optik TV™. We also deliver a compelling range of products and services for small, medium and large businesses; and have carved out a leadership position in the health, energy, finance and public sector markets with innovative industry specific solutions.
Everyone belongs at TELUS. It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or how you do it, at TELUS, your unique contribution and talents will be valued and respected. Because the more diverse perspectives we have the more likely we are to crack the code on what our customers want and our communities need.
Do you share our passion?
At TELUS, you create future friendly® possibilities.
At TELUS, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.