Morgan Stanley is a global financial services firm and a market leader in investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. With offices in more than 43 countries, the people of Morgan Stanley are dedicated to providing our clients the finest thinking, products and services to help them achieve even the most challenging goals.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. We embrace integrity, excellence, team work and giving back.
The Technology division partners with our business units and leading technology companies to redefine how we do business in ever more global and dynamic financial markets.
Our sizeable investment in technology results in leading-edge tools, software, and systems. Our insights, applications, and infrastructure give a competitive edge to clients’ businesses-and to our own.
Enterprise Technology & Services (ETS) delivers shared technology services for the Firm supporting all business applications and end users. ETS provides capabilities for all stages of the Firm’s software development lifecycle, enabling productive coding, functional and integration testing, application releases, and ongoing monitoring and support for over 3,000 production applications.
ETS also delivers all workplace technologies (desktop, mobile, voice, video, productivity, intranet/internet) in integrated configurations that boost the personal productivity of our employees. Application and end user services are delivered on a scalable, secure, and reliable infrastructure composed of seamlessly integrated datacenter, network, compute, cloud, storage, and database services.
The Morgan Stanley Enterprise Systems Management team is developing an Observability platform to provide visibility into Cloud application for Tracing/Metrics/Logging. As part of the cloud adoption journey, it is necessary to provide tools to our development and services organizations to improve uptime and reliability of the applications.
The individual hired into this role will be responsible for designing and integration to collect/transport and visualize various telemetry as part of the overall observability effort. One of the goals is to provide seamless observability platform for hybrid applications.
This position will be focused not only on application telemetry, but also with working closely with security teams to address various cyber security use-cases. We are searching for a motivated engineering specialist with strong communication skills that can interact with their peers within and outside the team to develop reliable and performance-oriented solutions.
– Opportunity to drive modern Observability platform that covers Cloud-native and hybrid applications
– Working with a team of incredibly talented and dedicated peers with hands on experience in cutting-edge cloud and Observability products
– A chance to share best practices and create innovative application monitoring standards and logging solutions to support cloud adoption at the firm
– Working with various streaming Technologies to handle TBs of data each day
– Provide telemetry and logging capabilities to developers and SRE organizations as part of the firms devops efforts
– At least 5 years of relevant experience
– Experience working with python
– Experience instrumenting applications for transaction tracing and metric collection
– Experience turning research ideas into actionable designs.
– Able to persuade stakeholders and champion effective techniques through product development
– Solid understanding of container technologies and container orchestration platforms
– Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as presentation skills
– Comfortable with customers with focus on customer interaction and client experience
– Ability to provide mentoring and contribute to local office leadership
– Proficiency with Linux operating system and databases
– Understanding of how various software components involved in enterprise service delivery interact: web servers, application servers, databases, web services, mainframes, network attached storage, and so forth
Nice to have:
– Working experience of regular expressions in data extraction from log files
– Understanding and familiarity with log parsing
– Advanced degree in a relevant field is desirable.
– Design and monitor tools to measure a particular problem or the contribution of a particular technique over time
– Work closely with a cross functional team to design new features and resolve issues as they arise
– Experience with Azure Devops, Azure Monitor/AppInsights, as well as knowledge of integrating such telemetry with on-prem solutions as a single pane of glass
– Experience in Application Performance Management (APM) space
– Familiarity with the network and application monitoring space a plus
– Experience analyzing packet captures (wireshark) a plus
– Experience with Extrahop and Appdynamics (or similar products)
– Due to the roles integration within APM team, prior experience in Application Performance Management (APM) is a big plus.
– Database experience with at least one of the following: MySQL, DB2 or MSSQL
– Experience with various authentication methods such as SPNEGO, Siteminder, Kerberos, and LDAP
– Understanding of enterprise-networking technologies: switches, routers, firewalls, load balancers, WAN optimization technologies, and so forth
– Understanding of enterprise-architecture concepts: 3-tier architecture, high-availability/disaster recovery (active-active data centers, redundant switch stacks, and so forth)
– Understanding of the OSI model and excellent working knowledge of the key protocols from Layer 2 through Layer 7 including ARP, IP, TCP, UDP, and HTTP
– Understanding and familiarity of network topology, configuration of devices, network routing.
Knowledge of French and English is required.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential.
Spotlight on our Montreal Technology Centre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo5GaXpCwKs
*Video dated October 2019.