CCS Green is currently recruiting on behalf of a Cannabis client for the role of:
ASSISTANT MANAGER – ANALYTICAL LABORATORY OPERATIONS
This role is for a highly experienced analytical chemist who has routinely used analytical instruments such HPLC-DAD, LC-MSMS, GC-MSMS and ICP-MS for routine samples analysis. It requires critically evaluating relevant scientific results and training analysts to use various test methods for routine analysis of clients’ samples. This is a senior position in Analytical laboratory for routine analysis of cannabis products. The Lab Supervisor will be responsible for laboratory operations at Valens Labs. This position is given directions by the Lab Director.
What you will be doing
- Lead and develop staff; including coaching and mentoring, and working jointly with lab staff on how to deliver the best service to the clients and continuously explore opportunities to add value to Valens Labs services.
- Identify and implement strategies to improve quality of analysis, productivity and profitability.
- Supervise lab staff to carry out laboratory analysis according to established and validated methods and meeting Quality Control (QC) standards.
- Ensure that lab staff receive adequate training and are competent to carry out assigned work with strict adherence to the testing SOPs and work toward reducing non-conformances.
- Reviews and updates analytical testing methods and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- Accountable for ensuring that the Laboratory Quality System is in compliance with the current accreditation17025:2017.
- Review Chain of Custody forms and clients’ testing requests and plan with the lab staff in order to meet deadlines and samples’ turnaround times.
- Performs troubleshooting and ensure that analytical equipment is functional and calibrated by conducting regular checks on statistical quality control charts and that all quality standards were performed within the required timeframe.
- Provide technical support to analytical methods validation and samples analysis including the preparation of standards, equipment operation and reports generation.
- Interact with clients to ensure good communication and understand/manage expectations and promptly inform them when problems occur (additional delays, out of scope, etc.).
- Develop and maintain a positive work environment for lab staff. Support and comply with all Valens policies, Quality System and Health & Safety programs.
- Participate, when requested, in internal and external audits.
- Responsible for onboarding, training, managing performance and coaching for improvement. Maintain lab staff training records and relevant qualifications.
- Makes recommendations to Lab Director for additional personnel and equipment resources that might be needed to meet our testing commitments.
- Maintains excellent communications with Lab Director to ensure awareness of any deviations of required performance standards and makes recommendations for continued improvements within laboratory operations.
Who you are:
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry or closely related field and a minimum of 3-4 years of experience (in the last 4 years) in supervising Analytical laboratory for routine analysis of cannabis, food, environmental or forensic samples.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in operating a variety of analytical instruments, including HPLC-DAD, GC-MSMS, LC-MSMS and ICP-MS systems.
- Experience with samples extraction techniques such as QuEChERS and routine analysis of pesticides, mycotoxins, cannabinoids, terpenes, residual solvents and heavy metals in complex matrices.
- Experience in calibrating, maintaining and troubleshooting analytical instruments such as HPLC-DAD, GC-MSMS, LC-MSMS and ICP-MS systems.
- Good knowledge and understanding of data acquisition and extensive experience with instruments’ software packages such as Thermo Chromeleon and Qtegra, SCIEX Analyst, etc.
- Analytical problem-solving skills; working on issues of a diverse scope where analysis of data and results requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Experience with analytical methods validation, writing test methods and SOP’s and competent in reviewing analytical data, procedures and practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of QA/QC procedures, ISO 17025:2017 standards, CALA accreditation and proficiency testing (PT) programs and GLP regulations is required.
- Experience with managing laboratory accreditation and with performing internal audits will be considered as a strong asset.
- Excellent team building, coaching skills and capable of training and developing others in Analytical chemistry and using good judgement in resolution of staff relations issues.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills; ability to clearly communicate technical ideas and concepts.
- Accurate record keeping skills with excellent written skills.
- Ability to think strategically and to lead by example. Results driven.
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking and priority setting skills to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Track record of complying with all quality and regulatory policies and updating of all required SOP’s and quality records for equipment maintenance, testing, analysis and design of experiments, as needed.
- Computer proficiency skills with using Microsoft Office suite, including Office 365 and Outlook, Word and Excel, Powerpoint. Additional software programs are an asset.
- Deep knowledge of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to effectively manage samples and associated data and verify samples results.
- Successful completion of satisfactory criminal record check.
All Applicants applying for a Canadian job opening must be authorized to work in Canada
With thank all applicants for applying, only those that meet the requirements will be contacted