At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace – one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
Hopper’s goal is to reduce traveler anxiety throughout all stages of the trip buying and taking process. By creating a transparent travel marketplace and unique, data-driven financial technology products focused on providing peace-of-mind, Hopper adds value along each step of the customer’s journey.
Hopper has launched several bespoke fintech products that leverage our immense first and third-party data to create products and value that do not exist elsewhere – including Refundable and Flexible Tickets and Price Freeze. Thanks to these offerings, Hopper’s revenue growth is up 112% despite the travel slowdown due to COVID-19.
With over $250M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration to becoming the world’s fastest-growing end-to-end customer-centric travel offering.
Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company three years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 50 million times and sees over 1 million new installs per month. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019.
Come take off with us!
We’re looking for a great analytical mind with impeccable business judgment, who has had experience in risk based products (e.g., lending, insurance) and wants to apply this knowledge to the travel industry. We are pioneers in creating and launching risk based products in this space, and need someone to join and help us formalize better how we think about them financially and strategically. Reporting to CFO, the Strategic Finance Manager – Risk will partner with the heads of our business units that develop risk based products, helping us think how to measure risk, offload some types of risk, allocate capital across these segments and define our risk appetite framework. You will see the big picture and help business leaders set up our long term strategy, but at the same time you need to be obsessed with details and understand the nuances behind the numbers. This is exciting new territory, and we dont believe this job exists anywhere else, so we are not looking for direct experience. We would expect that you understand risk deeply, are willing to get into the details and understand the operational and financial drivers involved. You are happy working with senior stakeholders and are capable of influencing them, with clear and concise messages. You are also competent in SQL (or eager to learn) and like playing with huge data sets, destiling insights and ways of thinking about the future.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Measure, communicate, influence and offload risk
- Define our risk appetite framework
- Help define our strategy towards risk based products
- Partner with heads of risk based products business units
- Create, update and maintain financial models, risk reporting and forecasts
- Craft and convey messages with credibility to influence senior business owners
- Leverage SQL / Big Query to access, manage and gain insights directly from data.
THE PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- A degree in Finance, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative disciplines
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role
- Direct risk based analytical product experience (e.g., lending credit models, credit risk, insurance underwriting)
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with strong modelling experience
- Proven ability to influence senior stakeholders
- Managed at least one analyst, and is keen to build a strong team
- Experience or desire to learn SQL and other programming tools to scale and solve problems
- Enthusiasm and curiosity for conducting research and answering hard questions based on data
• Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
• Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
• Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)