Location Details: Mozilla’s North American office locations include San Francisco, CA, Portland, OR, and Toronto, Canada. We also have offices in Berlin, Germany and Paris. We are open to you working from your home office anywhere in the US, Canada, Germany or the UK for this position.
Mozilla is committed to ensuring the Web is a global, public resource accessible to all. Localizing Firefox and other Mozilla projects in as many languages as possible is a core component of this mission. Our dedicated and talented global community is the driving force behind Mozilla localization. The localization effort consists of around a thousand volunteer contributors with a real passion for breaking down language barriers on the Web. Gathered in around 100 language-specific, volunteer communities, they create localizations for the 60% of Firefox users that don’t speak English.
As a Staff Localization Engineer, you will push the localization industry forward around our Fluent project technology by developing standards, tools, and processes that promote multilingualism, and interoperable, open source localization platforms. You will also be one of the primary points of interaction between Mozilla and the global localization community.
If you meet the following criteria and are excited by working with Mozilla l10n in this capacity, please apply!
- Experience in language design, including parsing and AST tooling.
- Deep understanding of runtime issues within localization ecosystems.
- Experience with platform-specific localization and internationalization technology (e.g., mobile, Windows, Mac, etc.).
- Deep understanding of modern translation technology and standards.
- Experience with working with standards body working groups.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Ability and passion for working in the open and engaging with Mozilla’s global community.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in a second language.
- Advanced skills with React and Rust.
- Strong skills in debugging web-based code, reading and writing technical specifications.
- Experience in parallel programming, in-process, multi-process or distributed.
- Experience with building web apps and software for global audiences.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. We will provide reasonable accommodation to an employee or job applicant with a disability.