Swiss Re Group
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 13,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About The Role:
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced actuarial student or recently qualified actuary to join the Portfolio Management team to manage the performance of Life & Health in force blocks within North America.
In this role, you will develop, enhance and utilize tools that measure and attribute performance; communicate results; and recommend actions to improve performance of these blocks of businesses. You will be collaborating with subject matter experts from Products, Client Markets, Valuations, Finance, Legal and other Business Management functions.
- Responsible for performance reporting and recommending actions to improve performance on New Business, Disability, Critical Illness, Medical, and data-challenged Life blocks.
- Develop tools leveraging a “big-data” platform from Stargate to measure and attribute performance.
- Performance insights via financial history, projections, experience studies, current balance sheet & earnings, and quality of data, assumptions & models.
- Produce projections that incorporate GAAP, Statutory, Tax, and EVM accounting principles to value in force blocks and liability trades.
- Develop presentation and/or communication materials for clients, internal stakeholders, rating agencies, regulatory and industry presentations.
- Maintain current knowledge of business practices, industry trends, and regulatory conditions.
- Create, validate, modify, and utilize L&H insurance and reinsurance actuarial models using both production actuarial software and customized tools.
- Develop and challenge actuarial assumptions, results and conclusions for innovative solutions.
- Contribute ideas to gain efficiencies or reduce operational expenses, as well as generating additional GAAP income within the in force block of business.
Interaction with other parties:
- Client Markets
- Claims and Technical Accounting
- External Clients
About The Team:
Portfolio Management is a function within Business Management Americas formed in 2017. It is responsible for in-depth analysis of in force blocks and communicating actions to improve future performance, leveraging a Silicon-Valley “big-data” platform to enhance analytics capabilities for Life & Health function for Americas.
- University degree in mathematics or actuarial science
- Qualified ASA or equivalent actuarial designation; FSA designation will be an asset
- Good understanding of at least one valuation framework for L&H business (e.g. EVM, IFRS, US GAAP, Swiss, Canadian and US STAT)
- Knowledge of at least one of Swiss Re’s actuarial modeling software packages (Axis, ALFA, etc)
- Knowledge of at least one programming language (SQL, Python, R, etc)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team to contribute to the successful delivery of time-sensitive projects
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple deliverables
- Experience in working with cross-functional teams, spread over multiple locations
- Ability to translate concepts into system functionalities and processes
- Detail and deadline oriented
Swiss Re is an equal opportunity employer. It is our practice to recruit, hire and promote without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, pregnancy, sexual orientations, marital status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Decisions on employment are solely based on an individual’s qualifications for the position being filled.
During the recruitment process, reasonable accommodations for disabilities are available upon request. If contacted for an interview, please inform the Recruiter/HR Professional of the accommodation needed.