You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You’ll work with dynamic colleagues – experts in their fields – who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you’ll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients – who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
About the role
The candidate will be a member of the SQL Server Client team within Data Management Services (DMS). The primary role on the team will be a SQL Server Database Administrator supporting both client and internal DMS initiatives.
Additional focus will be on the PEGA Application Development platform and various agile projects as a shared resource, based on available capacity. This could require training on various emerging technologies, Cloud technologies, DevOps tools and processes, and vendor applications.
What will you do
- Primary DMS contact for PEGA COE: includes working on initiatives, escalations of the PEGA Application Development Platform and coordinating and assigning PEGA deliverables to team members
- Support database workload in AWS Cloud and SQL expertise as a shared resource to Agile projects
- Pro-active and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of difficult SQL issues
- Administrative support of SQL Server versions 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019 including: Database Engine, Integration Services (SSIS), Analysis Services (SSAS) and Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Provide support of application and database upgrades from existing SQL versions to SQL2016, SQL2019 and future supported releases
- Migration of database objects from development through production following documented standards, policies and procedures (Change Management Process)
- Participation in after-hours and weekend support of production implementations, infrastructure activities, and various disaster recovery exercises
- Support of PowerShell, T-SQL stored procedures and functions to support internal processes and improve system performance (if applicable)
What you need to succeed
- Degree in Computer Science
- 5 to 7 years of SQL Server database administration experience handling medium to large databases
- 5 – 7 years’ experience with the Microsoft BI stack
- 2 – 3 years’ experience with AWS Cloud technologies
- 2 + years’ experience T-SQL skills that include a thorough understanding of system tables, stored procedures, functions, triggers, and SQL tuning
- 2 + years’ experience with SQL Server installations and patching
- SQL Server Certification an asset
- Manage medium to large projects and participate in a variety of projects through the entire project lifecycle (if applicable)
- Maintain up-to-date documentation and procedures for all supported applications and environments
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Lead projects with minimal direction and to successfully juggle multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously(team members, technical/team leads, management)
- Analytical and problem solving skills with a keen attention to detail and the ability to consistently produce high-quality deliverables
- Strong organizational skills and monitoring skills with the ability to handle several tasks efficiently and escalate to manager when issues arise
- Good judgement in knowing when to escalate issues including seeking guidance when managing competing priorities and peak workload situations
- Ability to evaluate functionality and features with newer versions of the SQL Server DBMS as part of a readiness program
- This role requires Canadian Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance.
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive salary and bonus structure influenced by market range data
- Pension, stock and savings programs to help build and enhance your future financial security
- An environment of continuous learning and improvement
- Flexible hours and periodic work from home options
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to [email protected]
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
73,800/73 800 – 124,100/124 100
IT – Technology Services
Posting End Date: