Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world – picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide system and solution level post-sales support for CIENA’s Customer base. This includes testing, troubleshooting, on site and telephone technical support for all CIENA products. A strong understanding of the fiber optic transport and/or switching protocols is essential. Proficiency and experience with personal computers, Microsoft office suite of software is needed. Enhanced scope and depth of expertise in data communications protocols including Ethernet and IP networks is required. Experience with UNIX and SUN/Oracle systems is important asset. Experience with Element Management or Network Management systems is expected. This position may also involve on-site day to day interaction with the customer concerning all aspects of network planning, deployment and technical network issues and design.
- Provide remote technical support (via telephone or on line) for identified CIENA products 24×7 when required. On call duty includes evenings and weekends.
- Provide on-site support to Customers where required.
- Fulfill role of Resident Engineer as required
- Provide input to the Ciena PLC process as a GTS prime as required
- Assume responsibilities of a Customer Lead Engineer as required.
- Communicate with Design and manufacturing on problems / issues found in the field.
- Utilize debug tools as well as lab research to aid Customer’s technical problem. Recover information necessary to escalate the incident or issue to Design, Product/Project Management, Documentation, or Training
- Work with Quality Assurance, Design, Product Management, Technical Publications, and Training to provide Customer feedback.
- Create, review, validate and publish required MOP/ISB/FSB documents.
- Contribute to knowledgebase (KCS)
- Mentor, train newly hired as well as advancing Technical Support Engineers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Perform a Customer Lead Engineer roll for specific customers
- Resident Engineering functions on-site or remote
- Travel to customer sites and Ciena locations globally
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in technical field (e.g. Engineering, Computer Science) from a four-year college or university with five to 10 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Very knowledgeable of the operation of fiber optic transport and/or switching equipment.
- Multiple years experienced in a technical support role with an equipment vendor in the Telco industry.
- Experience as a technical lead on specific projects or issues
- Proven problem solving experience
- In depth knowledge and Experience with SONET/SDH ring transmission equipment, Carrier Ethernet enterprise equipment and associated fiber optic facilities
- Strong knowledge of OTN technology and the applications to Ciena equipment
- Fundamental understanding of Telecommunication industry
- Clear understanding of Technical Support industry and the application within Ciena
- CE-P (Carrier Ethernet-Professional) certification
- OC-P (Optical Communications-Professional) certification
- Proficiency with various ‘office’ software applications including Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Excel
- Ability to analyze, trouble-shoot and resolve complex problems
- Motivated self-starter with excellent time management skills and an ability to work from broad guidelines with minimal supervision
- Strong knowledge understanding of transport and switching systems for telecommunications applications/Systems. Special proficiency in some products or technologies.
- Full understanding of Optical Networking
- Proficient with various types of test equipment for optical and protocol testing.
- System level trouble shooting on fiber optic telecommunications transport and switching equipment.
- Extensive Knowledge of OTN, SONET/SDH/DWDM, Carrier Ethernet with specialized knowledge in some products and application of the technology.
- Knowledge of data communications, UNIX SUN/Oracle as well as experience working in an IP network
- Good abilities to build relationships build and proven record of excellent Customer focus
- Team player that is ready to contribute or lead troubleshooting
- Willing to take responsibility for complete problem resolution
- Ability to deal with stressful situations with colleagues and customers
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively in English language both verbal and written
- Excellent Customer service skills are required and is able to work with customer on both technical and management levels
- Work in a collateral environment, which promotes sharing of knowledge and experiences.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be punctual and able to accept continuous unusual work hours. Typically, at very short notice.
Ciena is a network strategy and technology company with a passion to provide an experience, to you and our customers that is as rewarding as the outcome. We attract the best and brightest- those with outstanding talent, motivation, and the right attitude to contribute to our success. Our culture balances our openness and informality with professionalism and trust and is built on the foundation of our core values: Customer First, Integrity, Velocity, Innovation, and Outstanding People. Ciena enables everyone to have a voice and a network that supports them while on the journey to discovering their passion and purpose. We trust each individual to do what they can to reach their full potential and make an impact on the business, whenever, wherever they are in the world. With Ciena’s highly innovative, forward-thinking business practices, we reward people for pushing the boundaries. Unlock your potential at Ciena!
Being You @ Ciena
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination. Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.