- Req ID: 83768
- Department: Information Services
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 0-10%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Grade: 4
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 04/08/2021
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
In the role of Senior Business Analyst (BA) for the Information Services (IS) Infrastructure and Operations team, the BA will work with our internal business partners to understand their business processes to design and implement successful IT infrastructure solutions that meet the business needs and align with the overall company strategic goals.
Strong Analytical Skills
- Analytical thinking and strong problem solving
- Apply a variety of techniques to elicit and gather business and user requirements from stakeholders. Understand business issues and opportunities.
- Analyzes and synthesizes information provided by stakeholders
- Strong business process design and modeling skills
- Analyzes information to establish recommendations for improvements in business effectiveness and efficiency
- Determines business requirements through research, facilitation and analysis
- Develops an understanding of existing solutions
- Develops and delivers presentations positioning content and objectives appropriately
- Effective in defining and solving problems in order to ensure that the real, underlying problem is understood and that solutions actually address that problem
- Effective in learning about business domains and how they function, and then translate that learning into an understanding of how to benefit an organization
- Exposure and understanding of current business and technology trends in the infrastructure, networking and computer operations domains (e.g. cyber security, cloud computing, software defined networking)
- Understands how the people, processes and technology within an organization interact in relationships and patterns to create a system as a whole.
Business Process design and modeling skills
- Adjusts style of writing for the needs of the audience
- Analyze and define/model both the “As Is” and “To Be” business processes and perform gap analysis.
- Strong experience in Business Architecture
- Liaison between technical and business architecture
- Manages conflicting priorities amongst stakeholders to ensure the overall goals of a project are achieved
- Builds and manages stakeholder relationships
- Builds effective communication plans that addresses all levels of stakeholders
- Facilitates communication between organizational unit
- Understand and communicates risks and assumptions
- Works with 3rd party vendors on problem resolutions and enhancements
- Captures and presents analysis finding (models, matrixes, graphs)
- Works with users and project teams to identify project success metrics.
- Maintains an organized and up-to-date project backlog, using user stories or use cases that contain roles, needs, benefits, exceptions and acceptance criteria
- Analyzes information to identify the most effective means of implementing a change
- Contributes to estimates for the business analysis effort based on scope and complexity
- Facilitates design sessions
- Collaborates with and supports team members to ensure effective implementation of solutions
- Contributes to estimates related to the change control process as it relates to business analysis activities
- Develops an understanding of the scope of a change and identifies impacted stakeholders.
- Works with business and IS stakeholders to develop materials needed for effective testing
- Translates both functional and non-functional requirements into test cases
- Communicates testing results in business terms to project stakeholders.
Change Management and Technical Documentation
- Identifies and understands the impact of change on an organization
- Creates Online help/assistance strategy & text for strategically important projects
- Contributes to the creation of Training for strategically important projects.
- University Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Science, Communication, Commerce/Business Administration
- 10+ years of proven expertise in Analysis and Problem Solving
- Ability to contribute in a team environment
- Experience with key IS infrastructure technologies and tools (data center, workstations OS & applications upgrades, voice & data networks, security, environmental change management etc.)
- 5+ years of BA experience supporting the delivery of Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) applications, desktop operating system upgrades or infrastructure delivery projects.
- Ability to learn new systems quickly and somewhat independently.
- Knowledge of Software Development Lifecycle
- Knowledge of Testing Strategies
- Knowledge of business analysis best practices
- 10+ years of practical experience in business analysis and stakeholder management
- Team player, skilled at working in a highly collaborative manner
- Strong proficiency with all Microsoft Office tools including Visio and Project.
- Proven strong communication skills – both written and oral – with technical and non-technical staff and with management
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment where continual change is routine.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”).