Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 10 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security, Group IT and Real Estate & Facilities.
What is in it for you
At Inmarsat we are innovating and using technology to support business strategy and customer needs. In this challenging and exciting environment there is an incredible opportunity to grow and develop your knowledge, while also being part of a growing team that is transforming how Inmarsat operates in the digital world. This is covering people processes, tools and technologies.
We want to attract the brightest and best people possible, we are committed to developing and retaining our people.
What is important to us
As a Solution Designer you will work closely with business stakeholders, users and analysts to understand what challenges the business is trying to resolve, enabling you to produce solutions and designs that follow industry and technology best practices, add real business value and meet the needs of the business. It will also be your responsibility to work with the development teams to ensure that what is delivered meets your designs, thus satisfying the business needs. You will ensure that that all designs meet the standards set by the relevant governance forums.
What are we looking for
We are looking for a Solution Designer to join Inmarsat and focus on integrations, APIs, and microservices across business capabilities. You will have experience in designing reusable web services and integration solutions for business critical operations. You are focused on the “big picture” in your solution designs, enjoys working collaboratively, and support your colleagues.
- Provide design and thought leadership within the team to convert business requirements and needs into coherent solution designs utilizing the integration design patterns.
- Mentor, develop and support team members in delivering sustainable solution designs in a consistent and structured way that deliver business outcomes.
- Establish an efficient collaborative working relationship with the business stakeholders, technical teams, delivery teams, and third parties.
- Work with business stakeholders to understand requirements during the conceptual stage with a view to exploit best practices and core features of the processes and technology deployed.
- Provide governance and oversight to project resources and contribute to concurrent projects.
- Work with the development teams to ensure what is delivered meets your designs.
- Provide advice and guidance to the operational support teams as appropriate.
- Keep abreast of new industry developments and gain an understanding on new and emerging technologies.
- Partner with key internal and external stakeholders to analyze documented business and operational requirements to determine the best solution that meets the business needs.
- Analyze and assess requirements to identify upstream and downstream system and process impacts to proactively communicate impacts, risks, and solutions to other technology and business owners.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent knowledge of Java.
- Excellent knowledge of container platforms such as Docker, Kubernetes, AWS EKS.
- Excellent knowledge of APIs, SOA, and web services.
- Demonstrate significant experience in producing solution designs for complex integrations and data transformations.
- Demonstrate understanding of integration design patterns.
- Experience in design and delivering complex integration solutions across multiple technologies and different vendors.
- Experience with GitHub, Jenkins, and AWS products.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and negotiation skills, coupled with a logical, disciplined and structured approach to documentation and procedures.
- Ability to work independently, with limited supervision, while participating fully as a member of the Integration Services team.
- Ability to lead and motivate others.
- Flexible and dynamic personality.
- Excellent spoken and written communication. Assertive and confident raising action points with senior individuals.
- Experience/knowledge of a range of technical platforms and solutions.
- Experience of working in a highly augmented environment with multiple partners and suppliers.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
- Docker, Kubernetes, AWS EKS
- REST, SOAP web services
- Agile methods
- DevOps, CI/CD (Git/Jenkins)
- XML, XLST and WSDL
- JSON and OpenAPIs/Swagger/RAML
- Cloud computing and deployment technologies including AWS EC2, RDS, S3, IAM
- Modelling languages such as Archimate and UML
- Model Driven Software Architecture
- TM Forum Standards (SID)
*This position can be located in St. John's, NL, Canada or London, UK*
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organization.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do