Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated Director-level Solution Architect to join Manulifes Global Wealth and Asset Management Enterprise Architecture team. The role will push forward GWAMs Cross-Enterprise architecture vision by creating guidance and mechanisms that enable the company to think firm-wide when considering capabilities development. You’ll work closely with business, product, and technology partners to translate long-term objectives into designs that fuel firm-wide reuse and convergence.
As a Solution Architect you will drive the architecture strategy of the Canadian Asset and Wealth management initiatives in Manulifes Canadian Retail Wealth business in order to develop the target state architecture to enable the future vision reference architecture to guide all critical capabilities. The ideal candidate will be able to drive modernization, integration and security aspects of the target architecture connecting innovation and wealth.
Our Manulife / John Hancock family is going through an exciting, yet challenging metamorphosis. We are transforming from a wise 130-year-old company into an agile 130-year-young company. This is a journey, and to quote T.S. Elliot; The journey, Not the destination matters…. On this journey, we expect all to bring their knowledge, skills and experience as a team and, when we dont know, we will learn.
Within the Manulife family, our team is within Global Wealth and Asset Management and as a division we believe the truth is in the numbers. We believe its time to change the investment game. To do it differently by focusing on the value we bring our clients, rather than on the usual topics of performance and fees. We have just surpassed $1 trillion in assets under management with a diverse range of both public and private asset classes. Our division is global and have operations in North America, Asia and Europe and we serve a diverse range of clients from our own on-balance general account assets to institutional, retail and wealth. The right individual will be a proactive, self-starter that enjoys and thrives when connecting people and technology to solve complex problems at-scale. You will analyze, model, and develop complex and high-level architecture plans that require the integration of multiple technologies and coordination of functional areas across the organization. If you have a passion and skill for long-term end-to-end thinking balanced with crafting architecture increments that enable value for customers now, this opportunity is for you! The Architecture team within the Enterprise Architecture organization is responsible for defining the building blocks and target-state cross-enterprise vision that helps GWAM avoid duplication and optimize architecture. We are an organization that values diverse and big thinking, rewards both behaviors and delivery, and focuses on growth and continuous improvement ” all in support of Manulifes mission to help clients and one another succeed. This role is a unique opportunity to join a team and company at the beginning of a multi-year platform transformation whose work will have direct impact on company direction, our customers, and our industry. What youre good at
- Collaborating with Product and Technology teams to craft data architecture that enables business and technology vision.
- Designing for both functional and non-functional qualities, including availability, resiliency, security, privacy, etc.
- Assisting the business in the scoping and planning of upcoming initiatives and roadmap items
- Participating in or leading in producing conceptual, solution, and component-level architectures and associated artifacts.
- Reviewing, advising, and providing feedback on architectures produced within and outside the team
- Developing reference architecture and reference implementation patterns
- Mentoring and growing other technologists within the firm
- Leading the end to end solution design and data architecture for key company initiatives.
- Contributing to or leading definition of standards, guidance, and points-of-view that enable engineers to thrive and cross-enterprise thinking to become the norm.
- Helping to develop new and revising governance processes to ensure alignment of a diverse set of technology projects with the enterprise target state vision.
- Presenting architecture and innovative ideas to executive leadership for the purposes of alignment and key decision making
- Connecting your business and technical insights to develop innovative proposals for evolving Manulifes platforms, introducing new products or capabilities, or improving processes that benefit the firm or its customers.
What you have
- Ability to own architecture and influence strategic direction and vision for the future.
- Desire and ability to understand diverse business domains and develop architectures that meet the current and anticipated business needs across a broad set of partners.
- Ability to evaluate new technologies and know the latest industry trends.
- Good judgment and the ability to handle high pressure situations.
- Experience with and knowledge of common Architecture patterns (e.g. microservices, GoF, SOA, Event sourcing, etc.).
- Experience with data and application integration patterns (Domain-Driven, APIs, messaging, streaming, sync/async).
- Experience addressing operational and non-functional concerns (e.g. horizontal & vertical scalability, performance, maintainability, load distribution, resilience, recovery, security and privacy).
- Experience with Cloud Native (12-Factor) Architecture and Infrastructure Patterns.
- Knowledge of the enterprise technology space: languages, frameworks, techniques, and industry trends.
- Ability (and preference) to work in an Agile environment.
- Ability to devise, develop and apply innovative technology to solutions that would benefit our clients.
- Refined presentation and communication skills and expertise interfacing and communicating effectively with both engineers and executives.
- A strong software engineering and/or architecture background is required.
If you are ready to unleash your potential its time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of June 30, 2020, we had $1.2 trillion (US$0.9 trillion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $30.6 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.