We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business-and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Internationalization engineering team is responsible for building tools that help accelerate Square’s global expansion. We build platform tools that have outsized benefits and enable other teams at Square to iterate faster. This team is the face of global presence for Square and helps automate any localization needs in the company. This team partners closely with globalization program managers and makes sure our products work seamlessly in all languages/locales, so that we can meet our customer needs – today and tomorrow.
As a Software Engineer Manager for this team, you will be responsible for driving initiatives from inception through execution. You will be in the unique position of having your customers be Square sellers and internal teams (e.g.globalization program manager, engineering, design).
In this role, you will also collaborate closely with program managers, engineers, analysts, marketers, and other cross-functional team members within the organization to ensure that our platform provides a remarkable experience for developers to build in, marketers to launch on, and merchants to learn throughout. If you’re looking for the rare opportunity to simultaneously own a critical platform and growth lever, you will find this role compelling, challenging, and rewarding.
- Build localization software that integrates with Square’s products and platforms.
- Develop libraries that standardize localization practices at Square (ex: date/time conversions, currency conversions etc..)
- Write code to help automate manual steps in the localization cycle.
- Integrate with 3rd party systems and services that scale with growing needs.
- Manage stakeholder expectations, evangelize and advise on best practices about internationalization.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Experience developing web applications, and nice to have DevOps experience.
- Experience developing server-side code
- Strong understanding of internationalization infrastructure
- Experience working in a collaborative environment and partnering with other cross-disciplinary teams to achieve optimal results
- You have at least 2+ years of experience managing engineers.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Ruby, JRuby, Rails, AWS
- Java, Jetty, JSON
- MySQL, Redis, HBase, Hadoop, and Kafka, AWS
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.