What is the opportunity?
Boomerang is an online skill sharing and wellness community for 50+ year olds, founded to help people connect, learn, and grow authentically as they age. Members attend and host online experiences, and form relationships with each other through common passions and interests.
As a team, we’re a really collaborative bunch. We value sincerity, a passion for craft, self-improvement, and personal wellness.
Boomerang is part of RBC Ventures , a new kind of organization – one that marries the strength of one of the world’s most trusted and successful financial institutions with a mission to reimagine the role we play in people’s lives. We are building a world class team focused on creating new experiences, exploring new business models and developing new relationships that add value to how people live and work.
What will you do?
- You’ll have visibility into, and influence over, all parts of the technology stack, and enjoy a high degree of autonomy in your work.
- You’ll have a clear view of the product roadmap, the business’ long-term vision, and the opportunity to constructively contribute to both.
- You’ll interact with community members, and be able to influence what solutions are chosen to meet their needs.
- You’ll contribute to the planning, design, development, deployment, monitoring, and maintenance of significant portions of the software that supports the chosen solutions.
- You’ll have the chance to provide and receive feedback from your peers, and get coaching from more experienced engineers both within the team and the broader organization.
- You’ll use modern tooling throughout, whether that’s something currently part of our stack, or something new that you assess needs to be added to reliably deliver the desired user experience. Currently in-use: React, Jest, React Testing Library, NodeJS, TypeScript, Express, PostgreSQL, AWS, Terraform, Docker, CircleCI.
- You’ll enjoy the flexibility, tempo, and ownership of being part of a startup, and the job security of being employed by one of Canada’s most valuable companies.
- You’ll work with an extremely committed team of colleagues who’re constantly challenging each other, compassionately, and in a transparent, structured way, to get to the next level in our careers.
What do you need to succeed?
- You’ll be responsible for contributing to the design and delivery of a significant portion of the software that supports the business, and for monitoring and maintaining that software in production.
- You’ll be responsible for finding opportunities to iteratively improve our technology in any feature you work on, paying down technical debt as a habit.
- You’ll put in the work necessary to empathize with the software’s users, and understand their challenges on an emotional level, whether those users are fellow developers, immediate team members, representatives of partner organizations, or just regular folks looking to be part of the safe online community we’re working to help create for them.
- You’ll embrace an owner’s mindset: continually striving to make an impact; investing time, energy, and capital as if they were your own; and understanding that no part of the business is outside the scope of your position.
- You’re curious, and naturally invest energy into learning new technologies, techniques, and interpersonal skills that, you feel, help improve your own productivity and happiness, and the productivity and happiness of those around you. You’re starting to really enjoy what you do, and you’re eager to learn how to do it better.
- You aspire to have excellent spoken and written communication, time management, and project management abilities. You behave proactively to set expectations and find support when you recognize that there are unforeseen challenges or complexity in projects. It doesn’t take too much work for your team members to clearly understand the state of your work, your delivery plans, and your ideas for improving the business’ software, technology processes, and team culture.
What’s in it for you?
We are building something completely new in a dynamically changing industry. It’s never been done before. You have the opportunity to leverage the significant resources of our business and brand to make that change happen in the real world.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in an agile, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- The opportunity to interface with senior level executives from many different parts of the organization
Address: 20 Bay Street
Work Hours/Week: 37.5
Work Environment: Office
Employment Type: Permanent
Career Level: Experienced Hire/Professional
Pay Type: Salary + Variable Bonus
Position Level: PL08
Required Travel (%): 0-25
People Manager: No
Application Deadline: 04/30/2021
Req ID: 338676