Do what you love. Love what you do.
At Workday, we help the world’s largest organizations adapt to what’s next by bringing finance, HR, and planning into a single enterprise cloud. We work hard, and we’re serious about what we do. But we like to have fun, too. We put people first, celebrate diversity, drive innovation, and do good in the communities where we live and work.
About the Team
We believe if you do what you love, you’ll love what you do. There’s a lot to love at Workday. Part of a global, high-growth technology company, our Workday team has the unique opportunity of developing the next generation of Workday’s game-changing collaborative products supporting a customer base of more than 31 million strong. You will solve complex problems and influence teams across Workday as you build enterprise software. Thrive in our fun, people-first culture that creates an environment focused on your success and ability to do your best work. Join us as we change the way millions of people work.
About the Role
The Workday HCM and WFM Machine Learning team is seeking an energetic and self-driven Software Engineer to design, implement, and deliver highly scalable Machine Learning features. As a member of this fast paced group you will have a unique and rewarding opportunity to shape and contribute towards microservices that power Workday Machine Learning features in production. In this role, you will partner with Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers, and other Software Engineers to create the technology that that brings these features to life.
In addition to using your technical abilities to drive feature development, you must have a mindset of continuous improvement, passion for quality, scale, and security. You must derive joy from creating delightful customer experience. You must be intellectually curious and creative in applying technology to build services that scale, are secure, and highly usable. A strong sense of ownership and teamwork are key to succeed in this role.
- Design, implement, and maintain large-scale systems (1M+ requests per day) that bring machine learning models into production
- Conduct performance testing on API endpoints and batch jobs to identify and correct CPU and memory bottlenecks
- Uptake new technologies made available within Workday
- Forecast hardware capacity needs to support growing scale
- Troubleshoot, improve, and scale Continuous Integration pipelines
- Write design documents to build consensus for new systems components and enhancements to existing components
- Develop relationships with software engineers, machine learning engineers, and data scientists on partner teams
- Respond to alerts and debug production issues
- Review pull requests from data scientists and software engineers, and enforce consistency, performance, readability, and security across codebase
- Develop documentation to share knowledge with other engineers
- B.A./B.S. in Computer Science (PhD / Masters preferred)
- 2+ years of full-time industry experience in software engineering, preferably with machine learning exposure
- Strong programming skills in Python and knowledge of Bash / Linux command line
- Proven experience designing and deploying high performance systemsin production
- Experience with industry tools used to build scalable machine learning systems, such as SQL, NoSQL, Elastic Search, and/or Spark
- Experience with data pipelines (e.g. Airflow)
- DevOps experience, and knowledge of common industry tools like Git, Kubernetes and Jenkins
- Self-motivation and a strong sense of ownership.
- An ability to balance a sense of urgency with shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills