STICA STEMCELL Technologies Canada Inc.
Job Description Summary
This is an exciting opportunity to deliver advanced laboratory automation systems to STEMCELL’s new and existing customers globally. You will be part of a dynamic product development team responsible for designing, expanding and continuously driving innovation of our lab instrumentation products. As Canada’s largest biotechnology company, STEMCELL Technologies Inc. provides leading edge robotic, software and reagent based systems that drive our customers’ research at the forefront of science. This role is an opportunity to develop new and innovative products, drive the direction of our development and enable us to maintain our leadership presence in the life sciences industry.
The Software Engineer is responsible for implementing software solutions that are defined by user, functional and non-functional (eg security, scalability, reliability, maintainability) requirements, emerging technologies, cost, company goals and the aim of extending STEMCELL products’ adoption and lifespan. This role is integral in driving quality and value for our customers and the continuous improvement of technology and processes within the Instrumentation Business Unit at STEMCELL Technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, build and test new software components for STEMCELL’s laboratory automation instruments and software products following Agile practices and industry standards on Linux, Windows and mobile platforms.
- Prototype UI/UX workflows with user stakeholders, iterate designs and improve existing GUIs to conform to industry-defined best practices.
- Support continuous improvement through design reviews of technology selection, product design, implementation and lifecycle factors including troubleshooting, upgrades, roll-outs, backwards compatibility and obsolescence.
- Depending on your level of experience you may take on a leadership role to guide and support members of the development team, potentially serving as a project lead on challenging development projects.
- Actively participate in Quality Management Systems initiatives assuring software development and solutions adheres to current technical, security and regulatory standards.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent with a minimum of 5 years (2 years with a Master’s degree) of industry experience in software development.
- In-depth knowledge of Object-Oriented Languages (C#, Python, C++, Swift, Java, Obj-C) and experience of developing for Linux, Windows and mobile platforms.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem-solving and complexity analysis with practical knowledge of real-time, multi-threaded operating systems, applications and concepts.
- Hands-on experience with TCP/IP networking, industrial communication protocols (i.e. Modbus, OPC, TCP/IP, I2C, CANOpen).
- Experience in the development of modular systems, database and Internet of Things applications, the use of programming patterns and software for memory management and resource constrained deployment.
- Experience of computer vision development for the life sciences field and hands-on experience of robotic and automation systems are an asset but not necessary.
- Experience of the full lifecycle of software development and deployment, including documentation, coding standards, reviews and build processes.
- Familiarity with software development tools, JIRA, Git etc.
- Excellent diagnostic and troubleshooting skills with a systematic analytical approach.
- Team player effective acting as a coach/mentor to software engineers as well as collaborating with senior management in contributing towards STEMCELL’s technical and strategic objectives.
- Highly organized, proficient in time management with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, presentation).
- Experience in procedures consistent with UL, CE, ISO 13485 and standards for diagnostic, clinical and pre-clinical applications is an asset.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. YourPassword must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!