Nylas is a pioneer and leading provider of universal communications APIs that allow developers to quickly connect their applications to every email, calendar, or contacts provider in the world. Over 40,000 developers around the globe use the Nylas communications platform to process over 1.2 billion API requests and 20TB of data per day from providers such as Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo! and more.
Who We Are
Nylas was founded in 2013 by a couple of MIT graduates who were passionate about making complex systems simpler. Co-founder and CTO Christine Spang saw that email use was growing at a steady rate, yet there wasn’t a simple way to unify this data-rich tool in a way that developers could easily integrate with this data. She and a small team (at the time) set out to fix this. Fast-forward to 2020, Nylas has successfully raised funding from Spark Capital, 8VC, ScaleUP, Round13, Citi Ventures, Slack Fund, Data Collective, Fuel Capital, and SV Angel. Nylas customers span from large enterprises such as Hyundai, Fox News Corp, Hubspot and Move.com to high-growth start-ups like Dialpad, Pipedrive, Lexicata, and Sparkpost.
Our Work Philosophy
Nylas is also big believers in the safety and well-being of our employees and society, which is why we are onboarding all new Nylanauts remotely during this global pandemic until there is a vaccine and it is safe for humans to resume their pre-COVID lifestyles.
AND once COVID-19 pandemic eventually comes to an end, we will continue to embrace Remote First philosophy, with a minor twist: Remote First, Office Second. That’s right! It’s about how you work, not where you work. Nylanauts can choose any workspace or environment that will result in more ideas, engagement, creativity, focus, collaboration, and productivity. It’s true. Nylanauts can work from the slopes of Missoula or beaches of San Diego. Wherever motivates them; inspires them to be better versions of themselves. And if Nylanauts wish to work from an office in one of our hubs (San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London), they can! The workspace is there to be utilize.
Why Remote First, Office Second? Because we not only believe in respecting individual working styles, disabilities, and personal schedules, but also ensuring everyone has a better work-life balance. The outcomes will always be more important than the physical location.
So, if you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product, and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you. Want to know more? Check us out on Comparably and Great Place to Work!
About the team
Our Features team is growing in Toronto! Our team helps build and expand the Nylas Cloud APIs, which allow our customers and developers to make effortless use of email, calendar, and contact data. We want to create tools and features that make it easier for developers to use our platform in building their applications, and increase our product offerings into new territory.
About the role
As a Software Engineer, you’ll help us scale and build new products on top of our APIs. Right now, our open-source Python sync engine regularly archives terabytes of data across a massive SQL cluster, and our Flask APIs handle tens of millions of requests a day. We aim to scale that several times over in the next year.
Our engineers end-to-end own and ship new features, like offering Contact sync, while providing mentorship through pairing. They shard our webhook systems, then re-architect in SQS as we scale. They solve tricky customer issues, debug slow MySQL queries, and sometimes get into the depths of MIME and other email protocols. On the side, they improve our internal developer experience, most recently with MyPy, and open-source our custom-built tools. They talk at conferences, write blog posts, and make strong showings at local events.
You should have a growth mindset, enough engineering experience to architect complex systems, a track record of managing your own projects, and a strong sense of practical shippability over engineering purity. You should also tend toward humbleness in your abilities and have an innate desire to pass knowledge onto others.
- Fast, iterative feature prototyping
- Developing on a Python application codebase written in Flask
- Working collaboratively with a team of developers, designers, and product owners to develop and evolve features
- Writing automated tests to ensure reliability of our features
- Designing and influencing the design of systems that leverage distributed computing and storage
- Working with cloud-based deployments and application environments
- Intellectually curious, passionate, and inventive
- 2-3 years of feature development in Python
- Competency in at least one Python application framework (like Flask or Django)
- Experience with modern database and storage (MySQL, NoSQL)
- Experience creating and developing on RESTful APIs
- Experience iterating with git / modern version control
- Experience working at a startup or a fast-paced environment
- Someone who wants to be a strong individual contributor and lead large scale technical projects
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- Healthcare: 90% of medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Retirement Plan: 401k & RRSP with a company match (super rare for a startup)
- Holidays: 14 paid annual holidays (New Year’s Day, Family Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Indigenous People’s Day, etc)
- Personal Stipend: monthly health & wellness stipend via Zestful
- Education Stipend: annual education & development benefit
- Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
- Voting/Election PTO: 4 hours of paid time off to vote in person or volunteer at a polling place
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states/provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state/province where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.