The Retail Investing Services and Experiences services team creates software solutions for targeted at Advisor and Individual Investor, with the goal of Empowering Investor Success. We are looking for a Software Engineer to join the team for one of our flagship products Morningstar Advisor Workstation (which reaches over 180,000 advisors globally). In this role, you will collaborate with customers, product owner, project managers, and developers to design, develop and support software using Agile development and .NET principles and practices. You will have product ownership and responsibility for ensuring process and quality adherence through code reviews, unit test and best practices. You will act as the software guardian, owning non-functional requirements, architectural direction, and the quality of the code while addressing technical debt. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You’ll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. These positions are based in our Toronto office.
• Build well designed, well-engineered, stable, scalable products across a variety of markets
• Enforce good Agile practices (using JIRA) including test-driven development and continuous integration.
• Solve investors’ problems with technology, understanding market chaos at work and crafting technically appropriate interactive experiences to communicate effectively with individual investors.
• Take ownership of the success of the team with a “gets things done” attitude; the ability to understand and leverage new technologies, potentially wearing many hats including business analyst, DBA, QA, and project manager.
• Analyze and remediate production issues and build instrumentation and operational readiness into the systems architecture.
• Work with front end engineers to help them consume APIs.
• Stay up to date on emerging technologies.
• Promote usability and coding best practices.
• A bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
• 3+ years of software development experience.
• Be passionate about quality, process, programming, and investing in general, seeing opportunities for improvement, seizing them, and then sharing your findings with others.
• 1+ years of hands on experience developing commercial quality web applications and/or scalable APIs.
• Experience with designing and building web applications and REST APIs.
• Solid experience with C# and the Microsoft .Net Framework/.Net Core. Should have experience with the following technologies: Web APIs, MVC, Unity, Entity Framework, LINQ, Asynchronous programming, and SQL Server.
• Experience with DevOps engineering concepts.
• An understanding of how to protect web applications from common security vulnerabilities.
• Knowledge of object-oriented design, domain modeling, design patterns, and building highly scalable and available systems.
• Be organized and able to remain productive even when you have multiple deliverables.
• Experience working in Scrum-based methodologies a plus.
• Experience on Cloud with AWS Lambdas, S3, DynamoDB, Jenkins will be plus
• Highly motivated individual with the potential and desire to learn new technologies and take on an increasing level of responsibility within the technology team.
100_MstarResCanad Morningstar Research, Inc. (Canada) Legal Entity