Alexa is the name of the Amazon cloud-based voice service that powers the Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show and more. Just ask Alexa for information, music, news, weather, and more. And now you can send a message, make a call, play announcements, or drop in on your closest friends & family via Alexa devices or the Alexa app!
It’s still Day One for the Alexa Communications team – we have a lot to innovate and build to make communication through Alexa devices a magical experience. We’re working hard, having fun, and making history; come join us! The Alexa communications team is working to become the most natural way for people to communicate, and the challenge ahead is significant. We’re a high energy, fast growth business excited to have the opportunity to define the future of voice-controlled communications, make Alexa even more useful, and delight customers around the world.
We are seeking a talented Software Development Manager (SDM) to lead the Comms AMC NiFe team. This team provides crucial services that help our Customers connect and communicate with each other around the world. In this role you will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about an opportunity to build elegant systems in the most efficient ways, pushing the limits of current technology and challenging the status quo. The role requires working closely with business, product, and engineering teams within Alexa Communications and across Amazon to deliver ground breaking features. As part of your responsibilities, you will:
• Manage a team of elite engineers, helping them grow professionally and realize their potential
• Dive into and take ownership of mission critical software
• Develop and launch world-class software and product features for Alexa Comms experiences
• Influence our overall business and technical strategies by helping define product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product
• Interact with cross-functional engineering teams across the company
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
• Experience leading a team of software engineers of six or more
• 3+ years of experience managing software development teams, ideally with hands-on architectural and distributed systems experience
• 5+ years of software development experience, building scalable infrastructure software or distributed systems for commercial online services using object-oriented code (i.e. Java, C++)
• Experience with software development principles and application of clear methodology in SDLC
• Experience with project delivery for large, cross functional projects
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• 7+ years of software development experience, including 5+ years as development manager
• Experience with Commuications/Media protocols and standards such as WebRTC, SDP, RTP, and SIP.
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
• Experience with AWS cloud computing (i.e. EC2, Dynamo, Fargate, etc.)