The Outbound Communication Services team operates the foundational systems that enable Amazon and its subsidiaries to communicate with customers on Email, SMS and Push endpoints. Our mission is to successfully transmit selected messages to customers ensuring high availability and low latency, and gathering near real-time feedback from the endpoints to create closed loop optimizations.
We are passionate about building scalable, well-designed software which processes billions of transactions and very large TPS. We constantly improve our technical foundation and customer experience. As a Software Development Engineer on the team, you’ll have huge impact on how customers, including friends and family, engage with Amazon.
We love to work with smart people who have a strong sense of ownership and strong engineering mindset. You are a technical leader for your team and a great mentor. You provide perspective and context for technology choices. You’re up to the challenge of realtime messaging strategies, latency, TPS, mobile network limitations, device fragmentation, and building an end-to-end platform that internal Amazon teams integrate with. You motivate your team to pursue ambiguous situations and rapidly produce prototypes for a more personalized experience. You outline paths from prototype to product. You deeply invest in each colleague’s career growth, improving their technical knowledge, and defining your team’s operational metrics.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will participate in the full development cycle, end-to-end, the design, development, implementation, testing and produce comprehensive, usable software documentation of large-scale distributed software applications. Translate functional requirements into robust, scalable, supportable solutions that work well within the overall system architecture. Evaluate and make decisions around the use of new or existing software products and tools. Taking your ideas from inception to deployment, you will apply your software engineering expertise to shape, refine, and redefine our systems. You will come up with new data-driven ways to continuously improve our solutions and to empower business owners to use them.
We strongly believe in fostering a great team culture of appreciation, inclusion and diversity. Weekly video game nights and virtual happy hours provide us opportunities to have fun, socialize and foster great team collaboration.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering or related field.
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Sound understanding of basic areas in Computer Science such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object Oriented Design, Databases.
• Be able to write Amazon quality code in an object oriented language – preferably in Java/C/C++ in a Linux environment.
• Must have good written and oral communication skills, be a fast learner and have the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment.
• 3+ years professional experience in software development
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Mindset and analytical skills to provide latency, TPS solutions. Continuous improvement and have an edge to always research on latest technologies
• BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
• Passion for building great notification experiences which directly impacts our customers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.