Do you want to be in the center of the service that make it easier for thousands of developers and DevOps engineers all over the world to characterize the performance and behavior of their micro-service based systems when running within AWS?
AWS X-Ray enables AWS customers to instrument their services and trace requests through their code as well as the underlying AWS services on which they may run. It generates a service graph of all contributing service elements, and within the easy to use console experience allows the diagnosis of high API latencies and/or errors by descending into the details of any individual request. Our mission is to deliver and scale such a service to very large numbers of customers each of whom may be running at extremely large request rates, and perform sophisticated time-series analysis in near real-time.
The AWS X-Ray team is looking for talented software developers who are passionate about distributed system challenges at scale, want to work on some of the best technologies that AWS has to offer, and have a consistent routine of dogfooding in production.
As part of the team, you will be responsible for:
• Building services and tooling which allow AWS X-Ray customers to instrument their micro-service based implementations at very large scale and be able to analyze and explore stored traces in near real-time.
• Building a distributed web service that follows modern design patterns, and scales horizontally presenting an on-going set of API’s.
• Partnering with multiple teams within AWS to build solutions that add value to internal engineers and their customers.
• Providing technical leadership to the engineering team and contributing to the product development lifecycle.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee- led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms, and solid problem solving skills.
• Experience building large-scale distributed systems or storage solutions.
• Strong knowledge of software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Master’s degree in Computer Science.
• Familiarity with developing web services and applications using caches, databases (e.g. DynamoDB), and API development.
• Ability to discuss trade-offs of different storage technologies, and indexing of semi-structured datasets.
• Experience in operating high-throughput, highly scalable software systems in production environments.
• Experience in time series analysis and pattern identification in large sets of semi-structured data.
• A self-starter who is motivated to take ownership of projects.