Amazon.com stores and sells millions of unique items through its Fulfillment Centers (FCs). These items are shipped from tens of thousands of vendors into the many FCs in the Amazon network. We need different quantities of each of these items, we need to pick them up from the vendors at different times, and bring it into the FCs at specific times depending on the priority of the items. Items also are moved between FCs to balance inventory. Each batch of items has different dimensions, volume and weight and hence is associated with different restrictions and shipping costs. What we end up with is a gigantic graph, with the nodes being vendors, carrier hubs, Amazon.com FCs and end customers. The arcs in this graph represent the time of transportation and cost of transportation. Each node has a specific capacity, and so does each arc, and there are time constraints on when a product needs to ship out of a node and when it needs to come into a different node. And we need to do all of this while incurring the least cost. As an SDE working in the Amazon Logistics team, you will be responsible for creative input into these algorithms, and developing them in an Object Oriented and scalable way. You will be dealing with high transaction websites and web services supporting thousands of transactions per second.
We are not tied to one technology – instead, we use what is best suited for the purpose. All of our systems tend to be loosely coupled, communicating using synchronous and asynchronous messaging, leading to a classic distributed processing architecture. We are looking for talented SDEs who enjoy working on creative algorithms, building large scale systems and who thrive in a fast paced fun environment.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experience
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
• At least 3 years of experience writing production code of increasing complexity
• Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals, including algorithms, complexity analysis, data structures, problem solving, and object-oriented analysis and design
• Proficiency in at least one of the following: Java, C++, C#, Python
• Experience crafting unit, integration, functional and regression tests
• Master’s degree in computer science or a related field
• Experience developing in a Linux environment
• Experience applying service-oriented architecture techniques to production use cases
• Experience in web development technologies such as React, Angular
• Experience in developing secure, multi-platform mobile applications
• 3 or more years of relevant software development experience in the optimization / transportation domain.
If you are currently enrolled in or have graduated from a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. program in the past 6 months, your background aligns more closely with our Student Programs openings. To learn more about our Student Programs and search for internships and full-time opportunities please visit this site: www.amazon.jobs/en/business_categories/student-programs
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age