We are here to create a world served by exceptional professionals. Our products (Casper, Snapshot, and Duet) help higher education institutions to look beyond book smarts, seeing a clearer, more holistic view of applicants. It’s used by 360+ academic partners in Canada, US, Australia (and growing!) with 150,000+ applicants taking the test each year, and covers 90% of all US medical school applicants. We also host the Admissions Summit, an annual 2-day conference, and power the Alo Grant, an annual $100,000 research fund.
We are looking to add another member onto our development team who can help with the development of projects we have in place, is willing to mentor their colleagues, and put in practices that can improve our development life cycle. You must be driven and forthcoming of ideas that can make our processes more efficient. You should be able to think critically and help drive the development from both a product and architecture perspective. We are looking for someone who is excited and determined to make code writing easier and faster. You are willing to lead, train, and collaborate with developers and members on understanding our software development life cycle. We encourage all our team members to make mistakes, but more importantly learn from them and share their learnings.
This is a full-time role, ideally located in Ontario but open to other parts of Canada. We are a remote-first company but will return to a limited office presence in Toronto post-Covid to accommodate employees that want/need an office.
To begin with:
In the first month, you will immerse yourself in learning business logic and applications surrounding the business. More importantly, you will be getting on-boarded for a better understanding of the ecosystems of our development cycle; this is vital. Over the next two months, you would transition into picking up tickets for development and working with the team members in sprints. You will participate in sprint grooming, sprint planning, and sprint retros to discuss and evaluate the dynamics of our sprint cycle.
In 12 months:
- You have a good understanding of our ecosystem. You can write production-quality code with tests and are consistently contributing to the development process. More importantly, you are able to advise on improvements and, possibly, on the vision of “what’s next” for the team.
- You are known for your customer-first approach to the development of our product. You execute on the vision and deliver a smoother process of development for our development cycle. You are able to lead other members into understanding and analyzing processes and what makes our team more efficient.
- You showcase your entrepreneurial spirit by rolling up your sleeves to get the job done with constant experimentation – you find ways to improve the development process, the team, and the company!
- You are known as a curious person – when you find something that you don’t understand, or is behaving oddly, you dig into why
- You are known to have a bias towards action and are constantly pushing us to do better and move faster. You are able to write well-tested code for tickets on time, understand the software development life cycle and have experience with SDLC & AGILE styles of development
- You are trusted as an advocate for our development processes. If things, or processes, are broken or slow, you are willing to put time and effort into fixing them, and demonstrate curiosity into knowing what root cause of the issues are
- You are a champion of cross-functional meetings, workshops that drive collaboration, proper prioritization, and best practices. You actively share your ideas with the team on ways we can make the development process faster and more efficient.
- You are a source of knowledge and mentorship. You take ownership in sharing what you learn with other team members to help them improve, as well as with the broader Altus team.
- You are highly regarded as a lifelong learner. You are interested in personal growth but also encouraging the growth of other team members’ skill sets. You pair with other team members to understand the business logic: why our web apps function the way they do, and you work together to find ways to make them better.
What will help you in the role:
- 3+ years experience as a Software Developer
- Experience with Node JS, MongoDB, HTML, TypeScript, and CSS (Bonus: VueJS/ReactJs/MeteorJS/GraphQL/REST)
- Experience with testing suites such as Jest, Enzyme, Mocha or Cypress
- Experience with delivery platforms and services such as Heroku and AWS
- Experience with the code review process and using Git
- Experience with debugging and logging tools such as Chrome Developer tools or DataDog
- Nurturing and empathetic with a professional, positive attitude
- Comfortable with ambiguity, a fast-paced environment, and you prefer a change over status-quo. We are growing quickly and you’ll be involved in fixing/expanding processes that will break!
- Self-starter who can get things done while acting like an owner.
- Excellent communication skills
- Confident with a strong sense of humility. We minimize drama.
- Open to feedback
- A team-first, highly collaborative and get-things-done mindset
What we expect from a Mission, Values, & Culture perspective:
- Able to live our core values of being Caring, Curious and Driven to help us attain our goal of creating a world full of exceptional professionals.
- We need someone who is a self-starter, highly curious about how the business works, and be able to help us focus where it counts
- Has loosely held, strong opinions – knows why they want what they want, but is also abundantly humble, can be wrong, and wants to seek out the best solution, no matter the source
- Looking for a long-term relationship at a growing company
- Interested in being part of an amazing, caring team, and wants to build a sustainable, high growth business
Our hiring process:
Our hiring process optimizes for a positive candidate experience. The general hiring process looks like the following:
- Introductory phone screen: Chandra (our Recruitment Specialist) will review your application and if selected, schedule a phone call to get to know you better and tell you more about the role and company.
- Technical Leader interview: If you pass the phone screen, you’ll have a video chat with our Fractional CTO, to discuss your experience in more depth.
- Remote team interview: Once you pass the video interview, we will schedule a remote team interview, where you will virtually meet with 4-6 members of our team to assess your technical skills, values fit, and cultural add. You may also be asked to complete a short task that closely mirrors some aspects of the role (don’t worry, no white boarding!). The remote interview takes about 3 hours.
- Reference Checks: We’ll ask for 2-3 professional references to chat about your time working together.
- Final Decision: The hiring manager will consolidate all of the feedback and let you know of their decision (there may be a quick additional call at this stage to help us make a decision)
- Offer: If you are our perfect match, and we’re yours, an official offer will be made!
More about the Altus Assessments team:
We’re a quirky, vibrant, and diverse group of 80+ working collaboratively to tackle some tough problems (like how to evaluate empathy in someone who wants to train to become a doctor), and some less tough ones (like how to answer that bonus question on Trivia Night).
Our core values are caring, curious, and driven, and we embody these in everything that we do. We genuinely care about the well-being of others, we possess an innate desire to continually learn, and every day we strive to be better than the person we were the day before. To learn more, visit us at www.altusassessments.com
Please note that during the Covid-19 precautions, our team has transitioned to remote work-from-home. Though we expect this to be the case for the next 9-12 months, we are consistently and transparently adapting as we receive more information from the experts.
- Bi-weekly virtual team lunches: This (typically in-office) ritual is being supported by UberEats coupons provided by Altus so that you have something to eat at home while we connect over video calls
- $3,000 annual personal and professional development budget
- Generous self-directed vacation policy
- Comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance coverage
- RRSP matching program
- Parental leave benefits
- Team building and social events
Altus is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors. Special accommodations for candidates with disabilities can be made during the interview process if requested.