We are SigFig. We empower everyone to achieve their life goals and ambitions with intuitive and customer-centric financial solutions. It takes extraordinary people to disrupt decades of legacy financial practices to reimagine solutions to serve customers at scale.
We are committed to building impactful financial solutions that are accessible and affordable to everyone. Using a combination of design, data science, and technology, we help provide people with financial advice and guidance they need to achieve their life goals. Whether it’s through our direct-to-consumer or business-to-consumer products through partnerships with some of the world’s largest and most innovative financial institutions like Wells Fargo, UBS, and Citizens Bank, SigFig seeks to help consumers and institutions make better financial decisions.
Headquartered in San Francisco, we also have amazing talent solving interesting problems across our offices in Calgary, Tucson, Singapore, and New Delhi. Come thrive at SigFig!
The Team – The Platform Team
The Platform team designs, builds, and maintains scalable backend web services that are the core of SigFig’s investment platform. In addition to software that enables SigFig’s clients to achieve their financial goals, the Platform team builds and maintains tools that are used within the company. We are a distributed team with members working from homes and various SigFig offices across the globe.
The Opportunity – Software Developer II
As a Software Developer, you will work closely with other engineers, QA, and product managers to expand and enhance SigFig’s investment platform. You will help across the entire software lifecycle, from design and implementation to deployment and operation. You will assist with analyzing business requirements, suggest solutions, and build them as part of a team. You will look for opportunities to simplify or replace existing systems and introduce new capabilities where needed, iterating quickly to enable the business to react to the ever-changing market.
You will truly enjoy what you do, be flexible and communicative, and relish learning new things. This role will report to the team’s engineering manager.
How You’ll Make an Impact
- Design: create elegant solutions to key business problems, factoring in need for speed, maintainability, scalability, and redundancy
- Implement: write solid, maintainable code for business-critical applications
- Optimize: tune interactions between services and optimize database operations to help scale SigFig’s investment platform
- Collaborate: work with product owners and engineering teams across the organization
- Innovate: introduce new ideas, find commonality across problems, and embrace simplicity when needed
Why We Value You
- You choose the right tool for the right job, leveraging third party or open source solutions when sensible
- You have good Expertise with server-side technologies (Scala, Java, PHP, Python) and experience building enterprise-grade scalable and performant applications.
- You have strong SQL/database experience, including schema design and optimization
- You are an expert at debugging in distributed systems
- You enjoy working as part of a team and have agile/scrum experience
- You are proficient in at least one backend language and one scripting language with the ability to learn other languages
- You can help guide the product design process by giving technical input, solution proposals, and risk estimates
- You are adept at jumping into legacy systems to debug and understand how things work
- You produce well-documented and well-tested solutions while balancing the need to iterate fast with the long term needs of an elegant, extensible system
- You are passionate about usability and creating seamless, intuitive user experiences
- You are excited about solving problems with software and like working closely with other developers and testers
- You are able to join the engineering on-call rotation
Ideal SigFigian for this Role
- 4+ years of programming experience
- Interest in personal finance/investing a plus
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Flexible PTO
- Nest Wealth Retirement Planning Program
- $1000 Yearly Wellness Benefit
- Employee Recognition Program
- And more!
Founded in 2007, SigFig is backed by premier venture capital firms, including Bain Capital Ventures, DCM Ventures, Nyca Partners, and Union Square Ventures as well as leading financial institutions including Wells Fargo, UBS, Santander, New York Life, Eaton Vance, and Comerica. We’ve raised $110 million to support our growth as the #1 online investment advisor for large financial institutions.
© Nvest. All rights reserved, SigFig is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.