In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health) patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to the Manager, Enterprise Technical Services and receiving day-to-day direction from the Terminal Server Services Senior Technical Analyst and the Citrix Technical Specialist, the Senior Systems Administrator works as a senior resource primarily providing operational and technical delivery of Citrix XenApp and Microsoft RDS based systems and hosted applications, for Island Health.
The Senior Systems Administrator provides support to the Terminal Server Services Team and Application Support Teams with day-to-day operational and technical delivery and support of Citrix infrastructure and application delivery services, including XenApp, Password Manager (SSO), NetScaler/Access Gateway, MS Server operating systems, Appsense Desktop Now, MS RDS Services, as well as all clinical and business applications hosted within the Citrix environment.
The Senior Systems Administrator provides analysis, development, implementation, and maintenance of the operating systems as well as related layered product software and hardware. This effort includes responding to Service Desk incidents as well as strict adherence to Island Health s ITIL-based Change Management policy and processes.
Education, Training And Experience
Graduation from a recognized degree or diploma program in Computer Science, three (3) years’ recent related experience (such as project management, system analysis, design programming, and the use of a formal systems delivery methodology) or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Skills And Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to write in a variety of programming languages (such as VB Script, Powershell, and Microsoft related batch programming)
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Link to Full Job Description
Additional information for applicants
1. Functions, with minimal supervision, as a senior resource to the Citrix Presentation Services Team by providingday-to-day support and administration of large and complex Citrix Virtual Apps environments. Installs, configures,upgrades, and maintains various server infrastructures, such as Windows Server Operating systems, RDS, CitrixVirtual Apps, Citrix Provisioning Services, Citrix Storefront, Citrix Gateway and Ivanit/Appsense Desktop Now, 2. Installs, configures, upgrades, and maintains client side applications that are hosted and supported within the Citrixor RDS infrastructure.3. Conducts problem identification and resolves technical issues using various software and hardware diagnostictools and by following IM/IT incident and change management procedures and processes.4. Lead Citrix related projects to implement or upgrade new technologies as required.5. Participates with other IMIT and Vendor development and support teams in respect feasibility of infrastructurecomponents of applications and systems requiring access to Citrix and RDS Services related servers and services.6. Develops, prepares, and maintains technical documentation for all technologies supported, including CitrixCitrix Virtual Apps, RDS Services, Citrix Storefront, Citrix Gateway and Ivanti Desktop Now products.7. Monitors and reports on the service levels of Citrix and RDS by creating, implementing, managing, and maintainingmonitoring and reporting tools either Island Health developed or third party.8. Develops, implements, and monitors compliance to standards, strategies and business plans to ensure availabilityand security.9. Provides technical guidance to and liaises with other IM/IT teams and staff (e.g. Application Support and IM/ITmanagement) with respect to application support and troubleshooting for applications hosted within Citrix.10. Provides technical assistance and support to Project Delivery Office project efforts and initiatives as necessary orrequired.11. Performs other related duties as assigned.