Wealthsimple is a financial services company on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by providing products and advice that are accessible and affordable. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost.
With over 1 million people using Wealthsimple products, we are the market leader in Canada, and we’re fast growing in the US and UK. Our team is working together to build one of the most innovative fintech companies in the world and we’re looking for talented people who want to help us move fast, ship often and make a huge impact. Join us on our mission to make financial services simple and affordable for everyone!
Read our Culture Manual to learn more about us and how we work.
The Growth Engineering team is responsible for growing the number of clients using and loving Wealthsimple’s products. The team consists of full stack developers, designers, product managers, data scientists, and growth specialists, all of which work together to find new opportunities to grow Wealthsimple.
We are heavily driven by data, experimentation, and most of all curiosity. Work is a mix of quick wins and iterative improvements, combined with larger pieces of infrastructure to support our future efforts.
A typical Growth Engineering project starts with an idea for a potential opportunity, followed by rapid experimentation to validate the idea. The team works in short cycles, building first iterations in a scrappy way to maximize the rate of learning. If an experiment is successful, we explore how to scale the idea, integrate it into our product, and make it visible to the largest audience. Learnings and processes are extracted from each experiment to build infrastructure to improve the efficiency of these cycles – think A/B testing frameworks, systems to support user referrals, cross-product messaging, and other tools that make each experiment easier to implement than that last.
The Growth Engineering team is also responsible for building and maintaining our public facing website, which provides a wonderful opportunity to collaborate closely with our Brand and Marketing teams to build the beautiful, accessible, and highly performant experiences you can see throughout wealthsimple.com.
Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Complete our company-wide onboarding program
- Meet other new Wealthsimplers in your onboarding group learning the foundations of Wealthsimple, our past, present, and future
- Gather an understanding of our technology by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering onboarding sessions designed and presented by your peers
- Have an assigned buddy within the Growth Engineering team that will assist you in getting up-to-speed with our architecture and current projects
- Work with the team to ship your first project or feature
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Learn Wealthsimple’s technical stack and apply our development patterns through your work
- Buddy up for your first on-call rotation to help identify and resolve production issues and bugs clients have experienced
- Contribute and support work in a new or existing product and share your work with the team
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Reliably ship new projects to support our growth efforts
- Form strong opinions about our existing systems architecture. You’ll be able to provide input that shapes these areas
- Develop a big picture perspective and understand how our tools and frameworks come together. You’ll feel comfortable contributing to various codebases
- Work as the primary developer on a project – regularly communicating progress to stakeholders to ensure the quality and timeliness of work and work with other developers on the team to distribute the workload
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Plan, scope and implement a new tool, product, or initiative. Our roadmap for 2021 includes projects such as A/B testing frameworks, client referral programs, free personal finance tools, and building messaging mechanisms between our products (to name a few)!
- Have provided leverage to Growth Marketers by shipping new tools, enabling them to build and run highly effective campaigns
- Participate in our hiring process and shape the growth of the Engineering team
- Have worked closely with our product and design teams, contributing your own feedback and opinions on design and UX
Skills we’re looking for:
- Experience working with our core technologies – React, React Native, Ruby on Rails, and GraphQL
- Ability to solve problems creatively – working diligently to find the shortest path to shipping and validating hypotheses
- Relevant experience working with other Growth and Marketing disciplines (SEO, acquisition, content marketing, and/or building public facing websites)
- Previous experience building marketing technology – both integrating with 3rd party tools, and building products in house
- A passion for mentoring and coaching other developers. We are a growing team and we strive to ensure shared growth and success!
At Wealthsimple, we embrace diverse perspectives. We believe that getting to the best outcomes requires diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We create space where all voices can be heard so that we can all do our life’s best work. We’re committed to openness, curiosity and creating an inclusive culture as we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.