Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms-and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Cloud Foundations team is a small, agile team working to make cloud use at Square more accessible, easier and safer. Square is at an exciting inflection point, where Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) are becoming increasingly advantageous to product engineers versus our datacenters. We're actively talking to other product focused teams, understanding what they want and building tooling that makes it possible for them to do what they want without us getting in the way. Some projects we’ve worked on recently include unifying cloud and datacenter observability, feature enhancements to our Terraform CI/CD pipelines, and enabling service mesh connectivity from AWS Lambda .
As an engineer on Cloud Foundations, you will directly contribute to designing and building the infrastructure that enables every team at Square to use the best AWS and GCP have to offer. Your impact will span across product and infrastructure engineering teams at Square, and you will help set the direction for Square's cloud use for many years to come. Along the way you will have plenty of opportunities to meet and interact with engineers from across the company working on vastly different problems and be in a position to help them all succeed.
- Experience leading or owning large projects from start to finish
- Developed and maintained strong working relationships with other teams and job functions, such as Compliance, Finance, and Security
- The ability to breakdown complex projects into components or milestones that can easily be picked up by other engineers
- Familiarity with GCP or AWS
- Familiarity with one infrastructure as code tool, like Terraform or Cloud Formation
- Familiarity with any of the following programming languages: Ruby, Go, Python or Java
- An interest in building tools and platforms for other engineers
- Shape how Square uses AWS and GCP by designing and building software that bridges Square systems to the cloud and between clouds
- Collaborate with security teams to improve the security posture of Square's cloud presence
- Be able to tell the world about your work through blogging, presenting and open sourcing it
- Act as a force multiplier for software deployment and scale-up efforts by product engineering teams using cloud-based technologies in their solutions
- Participate in a team on-call rotation (quite painless – we work hard to make sure this is a breeze)
- Provide help to engineering teams across Square working with our technologies
- Dive deep to solve problems in novel ways based on our team principal of “get out of the way” and enterprise security requirements.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources