Who are we?
We are the Azure Communication Services team. We power reliable, high quality SMS, Chat, PSTN, video calling and
meeting services across Microsoft products. Our service platform is well architected, globally distributed, highly
scalable and built for the Cloud. The World continues to scale towards remote work, learn and play. Come find your
purpose with us to connect the World. We are grounded in our mission to enable all organizations and customers to
achieve more in work and life. Our team is growing fast and learning fast to enable the next generation of
communication experiences. We need strong candidates like you across all walks of life and experiences. Don’t come
just to join a great team. Come with the mindset to make a great team exceptional and we can be the career home you
are looking for.
Senior Software Engineer
We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about designing and building high quality reliable Cloud Services. As
an engineer in our team, you’ll be working on changes to one or more services to meet the growing needs of Microsoft
first party and second party solutions. In particular, for a given feature you’ll be expected to meet with stakeholders/PM
to get the requirements, document the design and review within the team, implement the design, create unit tests on
your changes, manage the flighting of the new feature, and implement additional monitoring and metrics as needed for
the feature. In short, you will truly own your feature from start to finish. As a leader in our team, you will be responsible
for driving best practices and mentoring junior engineers.
• Design and develop large scale distributed software services and solutions.
• Adhere to and drive modern software engineering practices through design and code reviews.
• System design through well-defined interfaces across multiple components, code reviews, leveraging
data/telemetry to make decisions.
• Develop “best-in-class” engineering for our services by ensuring that the services and the components are well-
defined and modularized, secure, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored and reusable.
• Improve test coverage for services, organize and implement integration tests, and resolve problem areas.
• Consider testability, portability/monitoring, reliability, and maintainability, and understand when code is ready to be
shared and delivered.
• Gain a working understanding of Microsoft as a business and collaborate with mentors and leaders in order to
contribute to cohesive, end-to-end experiences for our users.
• Focus on customer/partner needs through a data driven approach.
• BS or MS degree in Computer Science or Engineering OR equivalent years of work experience.
• 5+ years of software design and development experience with backend services.
• 5+ years hands on experience in any Object-Oriented coding language such as C++, C#, Java or Python Preferred qualifications
• Ability to communicate technical details clearly across organizational boundaries.
• Experience in DevOps to maintain live services and or application frameworks.
• Cloud and services experience, with Azure cloud experience highly desirable.
• Excellent analytical skills with systematic and structured approach to software design
• Passion for building highly scalable, highly reliable services
• Experience with or exposure to Agile and iterative development processes. Interpersonal skills
• Growth Mindset with a desire to learn, a tendency to embrace challenges, persist in the face of setback, see failures as essential to mastery, learn from criticism and find lessons and inspiration in the success of others.
• Help to create a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can bring their full and authentic self, where all voices are heard, and where we do our best work as a result.
• Confident and articulate in expressing ideas to a mixed audience with varying views and challenges.
• A sense of personal ownership and accountability is required, together with the ability to deliver to deadlines while managing internal stakeholder expectations.
• Self-motivated with a strong drive for reaching across teams and organizations to make progress collaboratively.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.