Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible – at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We’re building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Software Development Engineer in Test – Edge Delivery
The SDET will assist other engineers working on Fastly’s core edge delivery systems. They will design, build, and adapt testing infrastructure so that engineers can create effective pre-production tests. This engineer will be comfortable following code from development through to production, and will bring their expertise to help turn incidents into test cases.
What You’ll Do
- Work with engineers to ensure testability throughout the development cycle
- Documentation review focused on how and where to build testability
- Enable a broadening ecosystem of automated test methodologies
- Contribute to existing testing tools and environments
- Help determine root cause of a production outage
- Create and maintain reusable test infrastructure
- Plan pre-release acceptance tests
What We’re Looking For
- Familiarity with the language C and its tool chains
- Familiarity with the languages Rust and Python
- Familiarity with static analysis and fuzzing tools
- Networking experience sufficient to build network-dependent test infrastructure
- Knowledge of runtime debugging tools like GDB, strace, and perf
- Experience with Linux, and the capability to automatically provision different environments
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. It would be an added bonus if you have experience in ANY of these:
- Some knowledge of Go
- Some knowledge of Ruby
- Experience with property based testing environments like Haskell’s QuickCheck, Python’s Hypothesis, or Rust’s Proptest
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives . Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful – every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.