We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Software Development Engineer
Mastercard’s Cyber and Intelligence Solutions organization develops and delivers world-class security products and services for customers across the globe. NuData Security predicts fraudulent transactions by identifying good users from bad, based on their online behavior. By analyzing over 38 billion behaviors annually, NuData harnesses the power of behavioral and biometric analysis to empower its clients to predict fraud and verify the user behind the device. This allows clients to predict fraud before a critical decision, reduce customer insult, and investigate bad actors efficiently.
We are looking for a talented and passionate technical senior platform developer (no people management) to join our team in our Vancouver-based office.
• Are you happiest when you’re taking all the pieces and making them work together without a hitch with rock-solid code?
• Would you like to build across the full-range of functionality of our global infrastructure as well get opportunities to do technical design and architecture?
• Do you want to help some of the biggest technology companies with their security challenges and stop attackers in their tracks?
About the Role
You will be a key member of our growing team which is responsible for building and expanding Mastercard’s footprint in the cloud, focusing on bringing products and their deployment processes to the Azure cloud.
• Implement solutions that solve complicated challenges around performance, scaling, and security while instrumenting services to provide high quality insight into emerging issues.
• Design and develop applications, system to system interfaces and complete software solutions, perform vendor-related activities, and create documentation such as user guides and software development guides.
• Refine and enhance the development process used within our teams to drive improvements to develop efficiency.
• As a developer, you will manage your own time when accomplishing project goals and are encouraged to grow your skills with continual learning, workshops, conferences and talks. Leadership is technical, meetings are short.
• As an operator, you will manage colonies of servers across multiple environments and regions, deploying updates, migrating databases, and architecting self-healing infinitely scaling services.
All About You
A qualified candidate will be required to show proficiency in the following areas:
• Demonstrated software development experience in a professional development setting;
• PHP experience, or experience with at least one object-oriented language such as Java, C#, C++, Python, or Scala with some prior experience with PHP or Java;
• Knowledge of testing frameworks and source control systems;
• Experience in managing Linux-based infrastructure;
• Experience with building and managing software packages and/or server images;
• Strong problem solving, algorithm design, and complexity analysis skills;
• Exceptional communication, both written and spoken;
Helpful to have:
• Experience in designing, developing, and implementing scalable and resilient RESTful API services
• Experience in writing documentation and creating diagrams;
• Experience working with cloud-based server environments;
• Experience with public cloud providers such as AWS and Azure and their native tools;
• Experience in managing servers, networks, and infrastructure with broad knowledge of the following: networking, servers, virtualization, security, availability, resiliency, redundancy, alerting, and monitoring;
• Familiarity with infrastructure as code tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation, Azure Resource Manager;
• Familiarity with devops tools such as Packer, Vagrant, Vault, and Consul;
• Familiarity with databases, such as Redis, Cassandra, MySQL, or PostgreSQL;
• Bachelors of Computer Science, or equivalent degree or equivalent work experience;
• An interest in fraud detection and security;
In order to validate your experience and compatibility for the role, a four hour code test with five questions will be provided during the hiring process. You will have up to 48 hours to work on the code test.
What we offer in return includes a spot in our downtown Vancouver office along with a flexible work from home policy. We do cool things as a team, like summer events, game nights, and monthly craft beer tastings. Don’t forget the competitive salary, extended health benefits, flex-time schedules, and encouragement and support for professional development. We love it here, and we think you will too.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact [email protected] and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.