Sortable is fixing the broken ad-tech industry and simplifying operations for publishers worldwide. Our mission is to change the future of online advertising for publishers-and we need you to get there. We help publishers and revenue operations teams optimize yield. By providing the right data, we empower publishers to make better decisions about monetization, content, and audience acquisition. Fast-growing and privately funded, we’re proud to be a tech company with deep roots in Waterloo Region, Canada.
What you’ll do
We’re looking for Senior Software Developers. These brilliant minds build and design Sortable’s core revenue optimization technology, delivering new features and taking existing systems to new levels of scale. We want people who are excited to contribute to the team’s success and bring their own ideas to the table. As a Senior developer, you will help shape both what we build and how we work. Have you ever envisioned something you built operating at Internet scale? You can do that at Sortable. Have you ever wanted to help grow and mentor a team? You can do that at Sortable too.
You’ll find yourself a part of a highly dedicated and talented team delivering innovative products and features to our valued publishers. Working in an Agile team environment, you’ll play a key role and contribute significantly. And with the Engineering team closely integrated with the rest of the business, you’re always up-to-date on priorities, industry updates and opportunities.
- Mentoring and coaching junior engineers, elevating their engineering skills to the next level
- Own the design, development, test coverage and maintenance of features for our client-side container product and server-side auction platform, which processes billions of requests per day
- Develop and promote best practices in engineering, including scalability, reusability, maintainability, security, and usability
- Work with architectural leadership toward our technical roadmap initiatives; influence and collaborate within the Engineering department in coming together around a common architecture.
- Take end-to-end responsibility on projects, collaborating with product management and communicating technical designs through documentation, presentations and learning sessions.
- Manage and streamline the Ad tech code driving our publishers’ sites and optimize integrations with key partners
- Help the team to remain current on advances in modern technology stacks and run experiments to inform our product direction around site optimizations for ad placement
Requirements/what it takes
First and foremost, we want strong developers who can demonstrate their ability to perform at a high level. Don’t work in our specific tech stack? That’s ok. Just show us how you continue to get things done, smartly and effectively. Here are the qualities we look for from our senior-level colleagues:
Confidence without ego : you are persistent in the face of roadblocks and can communicate technical decisions clearly and concisely for your colleagues; you appreciate the merits of a good technical debate and are happiest when the best idea wins (even if it is not yours).
Problem solving : we need people who can take big, complex problems and break them down so we deliver value; you should be able to mentor others through this process and make them better too.
Passionate : we want those who get inspired by the work they do. We want those who take the initiative and solve important problems with their teammates.
Ability to drive change : you have experience getting things done in different ways. You can recognize paths that will be smooth sailing and those that will lead to rough waters, provide valuable insights into how we work and motivate others to adopt your ideas.
Mentorship : you have a desire to help shape the next wave of talented developers; you want to share what you’ve learned in your career with those around you.
- At least 8 years of experience working on development teams shipping software products to market
- Hands-on working experience with cloud technologies in big scale deployments (we’re 100% in AWS)
- Tech Lead experience leading groups of developers to successful software deliveries
- Practical DB experience, including writing/optimizing SQL queries
- Understanding of containerization with Docker and its role in the DevOps pipeline
- Understanding of QA/QC processes; able to incorporate the right level of test driven development to improve software and data quality
- Knowledge of Data Security, Encryption, and Data Governance
- Proven ability to communicate complex solutions to colleagues and business leaders
Bonus points and nice to have qualities
You want your application to stand out from the rest? First, show us you’ve got the above qualities. Second, start showing us some (or all, if you happen to be a unicorn) of the following:
- Experience in front-end application development and maintenance with hands-on development using at least one modern UI framework (eg. Angular, React, Vue.js)
- Comfortable automating build steps using CircleCi, Maven or SBT
- AWS Certifications
Our competitive advantage? Our people.
Your growth: At Sortable, we value autonomy, taking ownership of your role, and continuous learning. Your growth here is important and we’ll invest in your success with training, feedback, and development.
Our culture: We’re fiercely obsessed with our culture. It’s protected, guided, and influenced by people like you who value transparency, collaboration, and diverse perspectives and experiences. We believe that our workplace should reflect the world we want to live in and we work hard to make it a reality.
Your success at Sortable: The underlying foundation of who we are and how we behave is built on a team of individuals who make others feel safe to exchange feedback, respect differences, and take calculated risks. Productive. Curious. Smart. Nice. Selfless. Think you’d be a perfect fit? We’d love to hear from you.
Perks and nice stuff!
We want you to be able to come in and do amazing work, so we offer great perks and benefits to help you maintain a healthy work-life balance:
- Comprehensive benefits for you and your dependents to support your health and wellness
- Minimum 4 weeks of paid vacation to allow you to recharge and pursue your other interests outside of work
- Equity ownership to reap the benefits of our hard work and be invested in our collective future
- Fitness credits to help you feel your best
- Paid volunteer hours to support you in giving back to the community
Plus all the fun stuff that our staff dream up, like Cocktail Fridays, Trivia, dress up days, cook-off challenges, talent shows, lunch-time walks, and ping pong. We believe we create our best ideas when we’re inspired, comfortable, and engaged in the work we do and the people we see everyday.
We’re here to help.
At Sortable, we’re dedicated to equitable employment practices. If you require accommodation in the recruitment process, please email [email protected] . All inquiries will be held in confidence.
Apply for This Job