Sofina Foods Inc.
Reporting to the Director, R&D, the Senior Product Development Specialist will take ownership for the development and commercialization of new and enhancement of existing products that meet operational, sales, marketing and financial expectations.
- Collaborate with marketing and sales to provide technical support, clarify product requirements and support product launch. Conduct product evaluation of competitive products;
- Lead new product development projects including: Plant trials, preparation of samples for customers and internal presentation, coordination, and distribution of samples;
- Determine packaging requirements with production and suppliers. Determine sources of packaging, etc. with Purchasing;
- Work with Quality Assurance and Laboratory on nutritional analysis, and shelf life studies;
- Develop product specifications and standard operating procedures; product formulation, process and critical to quality product specifications. Assist with creating and maintaining customer specifications;
- Ensure that developed products comply with government regulations and certification requirements. Assist with Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) label registration;
- Contact suppliers to source and test spices and seasonings (ingredients). Source alternate suppliers of existing ingredient, packaging and/or raw materials. Conduct research and testing of new ingredients, process techniques and packaging technologies;
- Detail product process in costing model. Assist Finance in the creation of Bill of Materials;
- Interact with all departments including production, scheduling, quality assurance, regulatory affairs, purchasing, distribution, sales/marketing, procurement as well as suppliers and customers;
- Maintain R&D areas and fulfill other related duties.
- Bachelor of Science Degree, with a specialization in Food Science, Science, Engineering or related field;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in product development, quality assurance or production;
- Meat industry experience preferred;
- Computer literacy (intermediate MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint);
- Organizational and project management skills to manage projects from concept to market.
Sofina Foods Inc. is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). Applicants are asked to make their needs/requirements, for the purpose of accommodation under AODA, known to Human Resources when they are contacted for an interview.