We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Stantec is offering an excellent opportunity for an senior level position with our Infrastructure Management – Pavement Engineering (IMPE) team based in Waterloo, Ontario as a Pavement Engineer beginning in January 2021.
We are looking for team oriented, trustworthy, energetic, hardworking, highly motivated, detail-oriented individuals to provide technical and managerial expertise, with the expectation that the successful candidate collaborate with junior and senior team members and Project Managers to manage and deliver a variety of pavement engineering and pavement management projects throughout Ontario and Canada.
The position requires an individual who places safety on the job and the quality of the job as the top priorities. The expectations are that the job is done safely and correctly the first time.
With a big company comes big opportunities! Joining the IMPE team will allow the successful candidate to experience a wide range of learning opportunities in the transportation engineering practice.
Your Key Responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the position are:
- Assist or act as the lead pavement engineer and/or project manager for pavement engineering and/or pavement management projects for a wide variety of public and private sector clients.
- Communicate with clients, contractors, utilities, agencies and other stakeholders.
- Provide leadership through supervising and mentoring of junior team members.
- Provide relevant feedback and instructions to team members and relevant updates to clients.
- Adhere to project schedules, budgets, and objectives.
- Participate in internal and external project meetings.
- Plan, organize, and carry out pavement evaluations and investigations.
- Write and review/approve reports and specifications and make presentations.
- Preparing technical reports, including technical specifications, pavement design reports.
- Conduct pavement engineering analysis using AASHTO 1993, MEPDG, StreetPave, – SpectraPave.
- Conduct pavement management analysis using various Pavement Management Systems.
- Assist Project Managers in preparing field documentation and organizing field activities.
- Coordinating and carrying out subsurface site investigations, including borehole logging, sampling of asphalt, soil and rock, pavement condition surveys, drainage condition surveys and pavement coring.
- Perform quality control/quality assurance of field work, field data analysis and interpretation, and engineering calculations.
- Perform review of pavement engineering analysis, designs, performance data, and reports.
- Provide technical supervision and direction to junior team members.
- Resolve technical issues that may arise.
- Assist senior team members prepare proposals and expressions of interest considering the methodology for undertaking potential projects.
- Assist senior team members in managing our client relationships, including business and new client development to expand the scope of our existing services.
- Other office and/or offsite activities, as required.
There are numerous opportunities for additional responsibility and advancement within the IMPE team.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
As the successful candidate, you have:
- Experience in pavement engineering, pavement management, and destructive/non-destructive pavement performance monitoring.
- Experience completing pavement evaluations and designs of flexible (Asphalt Concrete), rigid (Portland Cement Concrete), composite (Asphalt Concrete over Portland Cement Concrete), and gravel-surfaced pavements.
- Knowledge of pavement construction methods, materials, and specifications.
- Experience in planning and supervising complex pavement and materials investigations.
- Knowledge of relevant AASHTO and ASTM standards related to flexible and rigid pavements.
- Experience in analyzing Falling Weight Deflectometer data.
- Proficiency with current pavement design methodologies and software.
- Experience preparing pavement evaluation, design, and management reports and technical communications.
- Knowledge of MEPDG an asset.
- Experience with Pavement Management Systems an asset.
- Client management experience an asset.
- Proven experience in quality control / quality assurance procedures an asset.
- Ability and willingness to travel (short term) within Canada and the United States, as required.
- Strong interpersonal written and oral communication (English – second language an asset) skills.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking skills, and report writing skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work well with others, as well as being able to work independently without direct supervision.
- Experience leading teams involved in pavement engineering and/or pavement management projects.
- Willingness to take on a diverse range of tasks which may include both field and office work.
- Proficiency with the Windows operating system and Microsoft Office products.
- Capability to look at a problem, devise ways to resolve it, and communicate observations to team members.
- Ability to manage a dynamic work schedule.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or related field.
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) licensed with the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in Civil Engineering or related field, including pavement engineering, geotechnical engineering, pavement management, and/or construction.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 2000020T
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans