Requisition ID: 91816
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Senior Manager, Model Operations
The world is changing faster than ever and so are we!
“Big data”, “machine learning” and “AI” are not just buzz-words; they are an ever-increasing part of our daily life. That doesn’t mean we’ve reached our potential yet. We have decades of data powering hundreds of models deployed across a multitude of systems that are crying out for smart and talented team players!
Model Operations is responsible for ensuring that every part of the model lifecycle, from development to implementation, deployment to management and tracking to governance is as effective & efficient as possible. In Model Operations, we are passionate about arming our data scientists and statisticians with the best data and tools possible so that they can build the best models possible. We get excited about automation and quality and obsess over getting models implemented quickly but also implemented right, the first time. We are results-driven, work hard, play hard, nerd out, and bring service, smiles and solutions to every problem we face.
As the Senior Manager – Model Operations, you will support the Director and help ensure that all of The Bank’s retail & small business risk models are developed, implemented, deployed and managed efficiently, effectively and reliably. You will work with your Director, teammates and cross-functional peers to understand business needs, document / map existing conditions, identify stakeholder / technology / data requirements, complete gaps assessments, propose solutions, gain approvals & buy-ins, execute assigned tasks and support cross-functional engagements, as necessary, to meet overall team objectives. You will divide your time between projects that span all the way from building international and feature data marts, optimizing big data platform usage to identifying ways to make AI / machine learning models work with legacy systems through containerization, automating how we test & monitor and enabling models to be rapidly refit with new information.
Is this role right for you?
- You have a genuine love, passion and talent for programming, development operations and process engineering
- You are innately curious and optimistic!
- You are a consummate team player who is equally comfortable wearing the following hats: Technology Consultant / Business System Architect / Data Engineering / Automation / Dev Ops Specialist / Process Engineering / Process Manager
- You can evaluate situations, synthesizing results and making high-quality recommendations
- You relish making things easier for others
- You are comfortable initiating conversations and collaborating with diverse personalities both internally (colleagues across the business) and externally (vendors)
- You can slip seamlessly between playing the role of a “long-run architect” and a “roll up my sleeves and get it done primary performer” as required
- You are equally at home working within a traditional SDLC as you are, agile development environments
- You can solve problems and find unique robust solutions to novel quandaries
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role?
- At least 2 years experience leading software development lifecycle business initiatives (e.g. conducting gap analyses, requirements gathering, developing feasibility studies & business cases, drafting high-level architectural blueprints / solutioning, driving implementations, overseeing quality reviews and testing, specifying ongoing monitoring & continuous improvement protocols)
- 2+ years of experience with big data platforms / integration (Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Avro)
- 1+ years of experience with development operations platforms, tools & technology (Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, Puppet)
- Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, PowerBI) power user with demonstrated experience conducting business analytics and creating professional memos & presentations
- Strong written & oral communications
- Excellent project, process & time management skills (PMP) with the ability to juggle multiple initiatives and numerous stakeholders simultaneously
- A demonstrated history of problem solving, judgment & understanding of analytics
- Accomplished in both team and individual performer settings & situations
- Proficiency in Spanish is a strong asset, not required.
- Working knowledge and/or experience with FICO (TRIAD, OM, CCS) and TSYS decision systems would be highly valued
What’s in it for you?
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- You’ll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top companies around the world
- This isn’t your typical “corporate” job. We work hard and we have fun!
- Access to thousands of online and in person courses so you can brush up on skills, or learn new ones
- Career progression opportunities. We hire you for your talent and not just for the job. We want to see you succeed not just in your role but in your career as a whole
- A competitive rewards package that includes a base salary, a performance bonus, company matching programs on pension and profit sharing, paid vacation, personal & sick days, medical, vision and dental benefits that start from day one and much more!
This position is located in downtown Toronto, King St W.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada’s International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.