Company 19 - John Hancock Life Insurance Company
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Global Wealth and Management Digital Technology team is opening a full-time employee position for a Senior Front-End Software Engineer.
At Manulife/John Hancock, you will have the opportunity to build progressive web and mobile applications including high touch, design-focused, marketing sites.
Individual Accountabilities for this role include:
- Builds, codes, tests, maintain high-quality software
- Participates in Agile sprints and ceremonies; supports rapid iteration and development
- Translates user requirements into software requirements
- Ensures that every page and every step a user will experience in their
- interaction with the finished product will conform to the overall vision created by designers
- Builds code to specifications and standards
- Has a positive impact on specific organizational entities & has some understanding of the nature of the impact
- Usually a top contributor to the team’s success
- Translates strategic design into controls, mechanisms and processes that users require to meet goals
- Designs screens or pages with which a user interacts and ensure UI visually communicates the path that a UX designer has laid out
- Develops choices around design and user interfaces that allow cross-discipline teams to solve customer pain points and challenges
- Concepts and implements the visual product language; create and advance site-wide style guides
- Constructs quick interactive prototypes that illustrate your UI design: functional with modern effects, animations, and transitions as appropriate, that present a realistic feel of the intended experience
- Presents prototypes to a large audience and key stakeholders of Product as and when required
- Participates in visual problem-solving with the product team, relevant stakeholders within the Product team
- Collaborates with product management and engineering to define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visuals, and experience
- Conceptualizes original ideas that bring simplicity and user-friendliness to complex design roadblocks
- Creates wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows, and site maps to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
Who are you?
- You are familiar and stay current with the front-end development ecosystem, and you may not necessarily use everything out there, but you know the benefits that they offer (i.e. Eslint, Typescript, Babel, Webpack).
- HTML and CSS expertise are a must. You understand the value of semantic HTML and selector specificity and/or libraries like Styled Components/Emotion.
- You are familiar with platform technologies and modern software architectures and API-driven development
- You might also have some experience with back end templating or server-side rendering HTML before it is sent to the browser.
Additional experience would include:
- Experience with a content management system like Adobe Experience Manager, WordPress
- Familiarity with Agile and DevOps principles, test-driven development, continuous integration, and other approaches to accelerate the delivery of new features
- Participates in functional demos utilizing new tech; designs own control structures
- Experience in designing UI for web, mobile, or other products
- Demonstrable UI design skills with a strong portfolio; up-to-date with the latest UI trends, techniques, and technologies
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively; experience in creating prototypes
- Collaborative attitude, willingness to work with team members; able to coach, participate in code reviews, share skills and methods
- BS degree in a technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, OmniGraffle, or other visual design and wire-framing tools
This is a full-time permanent role that can be worked from our office in Boston, Toronto, Montreal, or Waterloo.
Manulife has lots of perks including, but not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Retirement Savings Accounts and/or 401(k) plan (US only)
- Customizable Benefits Package including Health, Dental and Vision.
- Generous time off policy.
- Financial support for ongoing training, learning, and education
- DressSmart flexible work attire policy.
- An abundance of career paths and opportunities to advance
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of September 30, 2020, we had $1.3 trillion (US$943 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $31.2 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/JohnHancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract,developandretaina workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention,advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin,colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers toprovideequal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process.All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent withapplicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies.To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact [email protected]