Nelson is Canada’s leading educational Publisher providing innovative products and solutions for learners of all ages. Nelson values and respects the lifelong learning continuum and dedicates its business efforts to the diverse learning needs of students and educators alike.
Nelson Education has an exciting opportunity within its Technology team for a talented Senior Developer – PHP Laravel to work on Edwin, the future of digital classroom learning for K-12 schools across the globe. We are a team of passionate educators, futurists, and dreamers that strive to make a difference for future generations on their learning journey.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for a strong Sr. PHP Laravel Developer with experience developing web applications to hit the ground running on a tight knit Agile dev team that run two-week sprints, hold daily stand-ups, and use Slack, Jira & GitHub for our workflow. Our team is ego-free and collaborates closely. If you have a passion for education, love cutting edge web technology, and want to work closely with a small team of dedicated engineers, this is the job for you.
We’re very excited and proud of the work we do. If this sounds like you, let’s talk!
- BSc. in Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar field
- Experience with PHP, Laravel, Laravel Backpack, MySQL, Composer, Styled-Components, DB Migrations
- Solid understanding of MVC and CRUD based systems
- Experience with NodeJS and libraries/frameworks such as Express
- Experience using front-end frameworks and libraries (React, Redux, Webpack, etc.)
- Experience with templating languages, custom scripting
- Agile methodology/principles
- Source control, Git workflow/strategies
- Results driven and can work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Strong capacity to handle details; follow through and manage multiple priorities
- Must be legally authorized to work in Canada
Nice to haves
- Writing API endpoints (GraphQL, REST) and working with databases (NoSQL, relational)
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Cloud (AWS) and container (Docker, Kubernetes) technologies
- Understanding of responsive web design techniques, tools, and strategies