Be a part of a transformational journey with leading edge technologies.
Join our team
As a member of the TELUS Transport Engineering Deployment team, you will be responsible for developing and championing technological changes for the team, providing leadership and technical expertise. You will have the opportunity to work on next gen transport technologies such as the Ciena CDC and PTS platforms, as well as the design, commissioning and provisioning of related optical circuits and wavelengths that are critical to the TELUS network.
Our Engineering team is responsible for the activation and provisioning of all transport circuits through the TELUS Core Network infrastructure nationally. The team is currently going through a transformation to support new networking technologies such as Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and automation. From SDN to the automation of routine tasks and evolving our back office systems capabilities, we are paving the way towards redefining how we build a leading edge telecommunications network.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
You are passionate about optical transport technology. Using your leadership skills and innovative mindset, you relish the opportunity to make your mark on a strong and established team going through a disruptive technology change. These technologies will impact daily routine but you are committed to leveraging your existing Transport expertise while integrating leading-edge platforms and finding ways to work more efficiently.
Working with a cross-functional team of skilled Networking Engineers:
- Participate as technical lead and responsible for FOA (First Office Application) of major transport project roll-outs in TELUS’ transport network based on Standards’ guidance
- Assess industry standards, and where appropriate, incorporate them into TELUS’ transport provisioning best practices
- Drive everyday innovation in our organization through automation or process improvements
- Audit production transport network, documents findings, and drive improvements through cross-functional collaboration
- Develop cross-functional guidelines, processes and procedures, and ensure conformance to TELUS’ standards
You’re the missing piece of the puzzle
- With your 5+ years of transport-related work experience. Carrier experience preferred.
- Advanced understanding of all three levels of transport layers: Layer 0 DWDM/CWDM (both active and passive systems); Layer 1 OTN (both point to point and switched networks); Layer 2 (traditional SONET networks, Ethernet)
- Ability to synthesize and evaluate industry trends and best practices to develop and deliver on a long term vision for the team
- Ability to evaluate, refine and implement architectural designs based on your advanced knowledge of telecommunications technologies and architectures
- Ability to automate manual tasks through programming and automation (ie. with TL1, Python, VBA in Excel)
- Experience designing, configuring, testing and evaluating transport networks such as SONET, DWDM/OTN, and Packet Transport
- Experience with leading transport technologies, including Ciena CDC, Ciena PTS, Fujitsu CDS, and SDN architectures
- Transport technologies including Fujitsu 4100/9500/7120, Ciena 6500/5430
- Experience with legacy transport equipment including Nortel LH1600, Classic Nodes, and legacy DACS such as T::DAX and Alcatel
- Professional network documentation skills, such as with network drawings, rack layouts and cut sheets
- Advanced written skills in creating professional processes and procedures, including system requirements, method of procedures (MOPs), job packages and presentations (French is an asset)
- Experience or knowledge using tools such as OTDRs, fiber characterization test sets, optical channel spectrum analyzers and light meters
- Design and inventory tool (Circuit Vision, Netcracker) knowledge
- Current transport networking certifications (e.g., Ciena OC-A/OC-C)
- Current Associate-level IP certifications (e.g., CCNA, JNCIA)
- Familiarity with SDN and NFV
- Ability to program/automate in any of the following languages: TL1, Python, Perl, Java, Node.Js, PHP, Scala, Ruby
- Knowledge or experience with software development in: Git, Ansible, SQL database, REST API, HTML/CSS
- Bachelor’s and/or advanced degree in Engineering or Computer Science
Who is TELUS?
We’re a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. Our competitive consumer offerings include wireline, wireless, internet and Optik TV™. We also deliver a compelling range of products and services for small, medium and large businesses; and have carved out a leadership position in the health, energy, finance and public sector markets with innovative industry specific solutions.
Everyone belongs at TELUS. It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or how you do it, at TELUS, your unique contribution and talents will be valued and respected. Because the more diverse perspectives we have the more likely we are to crack the code on what our customers want and our communities need.
Do you share our passion?
At TELUS, you create future friendly® possibilities.
At TELUS, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.