Location: Markham, Ontario
- The Senior Database Developer position is a hybrid role that is a majority Database Developer with smaller component of Business Analyst and Development Team Lead with aspirations to Managerial level.
- A Senior Database Developer who thrives in a dynamic work environment. This role involves working across the entire BI lifecycle, from source data analysis, Extract Transform Load (ETL) development, through to Analysis and Reporting implementation. This role is accountable for the build out of Data Lakes needed to enable data discovery, predictive analytics and other features. This role will design, develop, and implement data structures that support solutions which empower the business with timely, actionable information. The Senior Database Developer needs to be a self-starter and thorough in their work.
- Business Analysis capabilities to be able to communicate to end user populations for both requirements gathering for small projects and directing them in User Acceptance Testing
- Acting as team lead, performing overall architecture and well as creating and enforcing development standards.
- Design, develop, deploy and tune SQL Server, Oracle and Snowflake based ETL processes as required. Implement appropriate processes and procedures for monitoring
- Perform sub-system design and specification development, application security, testing and debugging.
- Provide support for ad-hoc data requests
- Participates in team and client interactions, possibly with more senior team members, to develop and implement BI solutions suited to business needs
- 24/7 Application support
Experience, Education, Certifications
- At least 4 years of professional database development (SQL Server, Oracle, Snowflake) and ETL (SSIS or comparable) experience in an OLAP environment
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or equivalent preferred
- Experience in continuous delivery environments
- Experience with Agile (SCRUM/Kanban) software development methodologies. Automated testing and deployment implementation a plus.
- Experience deploying and managing in-house/cloud-hosted data solutions
- Experience with large scale systems involving reporting, transactional systems and integration with other enterprise systems.
- Experience with Source/Version control systems.
- Successful history of working with high performing technology teams
- Experience with retail point-of-sale, merchandising and financial data sets is a plus
- Collaboration with and replace of Business Analysts in requirements gathering, prototyping and validation.
- Aspiration to Managerial role in medium term
- Writing code and unit tests, developing API’s and automation, and conducting peer code reviews. Ensuring security goals are maintained.
- Analytical Thinking and Problem-Solving Skills – ability to understand complex situations, develop and implement a logical approach to a problem solution.
- Communication -ability to understand requirements documentation, functional specifications, high level design documentation and system documentation. Able to successfully listen, understand and verbally communicate with technical and non-technical team members.
- Attention to Detail – ability to ensure the work and information are complete and accurate, by preparing carefully for meetings and presentations, and following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
- Flexibility – able to change priorities quickly and have a capacity to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Application of software engineering concepts and best practices to design solutions that meet operational requirements, such as scalability, maintainability, extensibility, and flexibility.
- Ability to self-manage projects and to assist in management of others, due dates and communicate status.
- Impact Awareness – ability to anticipate the likely effect of actions and events on others and to tailor one’s own behavior to achieve a desired effect on others.
- Influential Skill – ability to gain others’ support for ideas and solutions, through logical argument.
- Interpersonal Awareness – ability to notice, interpret, and anticipate others’ concerns and feelings.
- Productivity – motivated self-starter and quick learner. Ability to work under deadlines with heavy workloads as well as flexibility to work outside of normal business hours to meet testing needs.
- Results Oriented – ability to keep the desired end-result of one’s own work clearly in mind, by setting goals and focusing on them tenaciously until they are achieved.
- Technical Acumen – strong understanding of software development concepts, procedures, and technologies utilizing Agile Methodology.
- Proficiency with multiple ETL tools (including SSIS) and databases management systems (SQL Server mandatory – Oracle and Snowflake a plus).
- Experience with Database tuning in an OLAP Environment
- Experience with industry development standards and their implementation
- Proficiency in system analysis and design
- Analysis and verification technical requirements for completeness, consistency, feasibility, and testability.
- Identification and Resolution of technical issues through unit testing, debugging & investigation
- Design and develop appropriate processes and procedures to ensure proactive data quality monitoring
- Version Control including branching and merging (Visual Studio DevOps preferred)
- Experience with Reporting tools (Tableau, Power BI etc. preferred)
- Experience with Retail systems including point-of-sales, warehousing / distribution, and merchandising systems