Interested in a career at Langara College?
Our employees exemplify Langara’s values ofexcellence, collegiality, innovation and integrity. If you think this position fits your qualifications, we encourage you to apply!
Langara College is located in Vancouver, B.C.: applicants to postings must be located in BC or willing to move to BC to accept work with Langara College. Exceptions to this will be clearly outlined in the event Langara College requires work (or positions to be based) to be performed outside BC or Canada.
Current employee? Apply through Careers in your Workday account.
Senior Database Administrator
Temporary (Fixed Term)
Thursday, April 1 2021
End Date (if applicable):
Friday, March 31 2023
Under the supervision of the Development Manager, the Senior Database Administrator develops and maintains the database related designs, procedures and standards, and operating production and non-production environments. As a member of a project team, the incumbent participates and supports systems in accordance with software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes and procedures, guidelines, and best industry practices. Primarily involved with technical teams, staff, faculty, and student communities, the Senior Database Administrator also provides technical support, assistance, coaching and mentoring to these stakeholders. Incumbent may also be asked to perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor Degree in Computing Science required from a recognized institution.
- Additional and current Database Administration training or certifications.
- Minimum six (6) years of recent experience in database development and administration, including a minimum of three (3) years recent experience in an Oracle High Availability (HA) database environment using Oracle RAC 12c.
- Experienced in configuring and managing Oracle Automatic Storage Management (ASM) for data storage in Real Application Clusters (RAC) environments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of database administration and design standards, practices and tools within Oracle, Microsoft SQL, and MySQL environments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of operating systems including scripting in both Linux and Windows environments.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written, in English.
- Excel at explaining and demonstrating complex business and technical concepts to all audiences.
- Ability to liaise with technical groups and assist them in the definition and articulation of their requirements.
- Ability to “think outside the box”, re-evaluate, and database management practices.
- Provide advice and support to users on the use and operation of application systems.
- Organize and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Effectively contribute to the overall improvement of department services and operations, team spirit, and morale.
- Work both independently and as a member of a committee or team.
- Work harmoniously with others.
- Aptitude to learn new methodologies, tools and technologies for requirement analysis and development.
- Exhibit high level of work ethics and professionalism within a business environment.
- Perform duties to meet established policies, practices and standards.
Hours & Days of Work:8:30am – 5:00pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
To obtain the full job description, please contact our recruitment team.
$43.23 – $49.63 per hour
CUPE IT Paygrade I
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Compressed Workweek (Fortnight):
Wednesday, March 17 2021
If you were a temporary employee with CUPE Local 15 at Langara College who has worked within the last five (5) months of the closing date on this posting, please contactour recruitment team if you meet the criteria for internal status (850 hours worked) as per Article III.7.g in theCUPE Collective Agreement. Please quote the job requisition title and number with your previous employee ID and last day worked at the College. Please do not email if you worked at the College more than 5 months ago or if you worked in a different union.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest in Langara College and taking the time to complete an application. Only complete applications will be reviewed. Internal candidates will be given first consideration. Please be advised that due to the amount of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.