100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Data Analytics & Reporting
As the Senior Data Scientist in Wealth Management Data, Analytics & Strat team, you will be joining a dynamic team that embraces data and technology to develop analytical solutions that drive business growth across all pillars of Wealth Management at BMO. The Senior Data Scientist, works with Business and Technology partners to lead the design, development, and implementation of statistical and machine learning-based solutions that drive measurable business outcomes and create a distinctive customer experience. In this role, you will engage senior business partners within Wealth such as Private Wealth, BMO InvestorLine, Global Asset Management and Insurance to dissect business problems, conduct research and analysis, generate ideas, structure data and build end-to-end statistical and machine-learning solutions.
This is an exciting opportunity that is on the forefront of a critical capability and priority for the bank. As a change agent, you will be providing thought leadership to business partners within Wealth Management on the value of data, analytics and machine learning while working directly with multiple lines of business across Wealth Management.
- Influences and negotiates to achieve business objectives.
- Identifies emerging issues and trends to inform decision-making.
- Provides strategic input into business decisions as a trusted advisor.
- Makes recommendations to senior leaders on strategy and new initiatives, based on an in-depth understanding of the business/group.
- Acts as a subject matter expert on relevant regulations and policies. Networks with industry contacts to gain competitive insights and best practices.
- Leads discovery process with stakeholders to identify business requirements and expected outcome and to select relevant sources of data/information.
- Manages resources and leads the execution of strategic initiatives to deliver on business and financial goals.
- Helps determine business priorities and best sequence for execution of business/group strategy.
- Develops the business case by identifying needs, analysing potential options and assessing expected return on investment.
- Recommends business priorities, advises on resource requirements and develops roadmap for strategic execution.
- Makes strategic recommendations on data collection, integration and retention requirements incorporating business requirements and knowledge of best practices.
- Structures loosely defined and complex business problems; determines new experimentation methods and statistical techniques to design solutions.
- Acts as the prime subject matter expert for internal/external stakeholders.
- Identifies/creates the appropriate algorithm to discover patterns.
- Drives analytics innovation; poses open-ended questions, explores new ideas, and chooses appropriate techniques for solving business problems.
- Oversees the development and delivery of tools and training for data and analytics.
- Diagnoses and resolves predictive / analytical model performance issues while monitoring system performance and implementation of efficiency improvements.
- Leads change management programs of varying scope and type, including readiness assessments, planning, stakeholder management, execution, evaluation and sustainment of initiatives.
- Leads the development of the communication strategy focusing on positively influencing or changing behaviour.
- Applies innovative and best practices to advanced analytics services to ensure high quality standards.
- Sets up change control and testing processes to ensure the quality and consistency of ongoing maintenance work.
- Designs and implements policies and procedures around new data sets to ensure data quality, consistency, repeatability, and accuracy of insights.
- Develops analytical solutions and makes recommendations based on an understanding of the business strategy and stakeholder needs.
- Provides advice and guidance to assigned business/group on implementation of analytical solutions.
- Works with stakeholders to identify the business requirements, understand distinct problems and expected outcomes, and models and frames business scenarios which impact critical business processes and/or decisions.
- Works with various data owners to discover and select available data from internal sources and external vendors (e.g. lending system, payment system, external credit rating system, and alternative data) to fulfill analytical needs.
- Applies scripting / programming skills to assemble various types of source data (unstructured, semi-structured, and structured) into well-prepared datasets with multiple levels of granularities (e.g., demographics, customers, products, transactions).
- Develops agreed analytical solution by applying suitable statistical & machine learning techniques (e.g., A/B testing, prototype solutions, mathematical models, algorithms, machine learning, deep learning, artificial intelligence) to test, verify, refine hypotheses.
- Summarizes statistical findings and draws conclusions, presents actionable business recommendations. Presents findings & recommendations in a simple, clear way to drive action.
- Documents data flow, systems and processes in data collection to improve efficiency and apply use cases.
- Performs experimental design approaches to validate finding or test hypotheses.
- Uses the appropriate algorithms to discover patterns.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders and ensures alignment.
- Supports development of tools and delivers training for data analytics and AI.
- Supports development and execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Leads/participates in the design, implementation and management of core business/group processes.
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a specialist resource to senior leaders and stakeholders.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
- Implements changes in response to shifting trends.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically 7+ years of relevant experience and/or certification in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced degree (Ph.D) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, or other quantitative disciplines and/or equivalent experience.
- In depth experience using machine learning algorithms.
- Experience with distributed computing language (e.g. Hive / Hadoop/ Spark) & cloud technologies (e.g. AWS Sagemaker, AzureML).
- Experience with programming languages (e.g. Python, SQL, SAS, R, SPSS, Perl) and machine learning /deep learning algorithms/packages (e.g. XGBoost, H2O, SparkML).
- Seasoned professional with a combination of education, experience and industry knowledge.
- Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth / Expert.
- Analytical and problem solving skills – In-depth / Expert.
- Influence skills – In-depth / Expert.
- Collaboration & team skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration – In-depth / Expert.
- Able to manage ambiguity and multiple projects.
- Data driven decision making – In-depth / Expert.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.