BMO Capital Markets
60 Yonge Street
Job Family Group:
Data Analytics & Reporting
As the Senior Data Scientist, you will be joining a dynamic team that embraces data and technology to develop advanced analytical solutions that drive business growth within BMO’s Insurance pillar. The Senior Data Scientist works with Wealth’s central Data & AI team and technology partners to lead the design, development, and implementation of machine learning-based solutions that drive measurable business outcomes. In this role, you will engage senior business partners within Insurance to dissect business problems, conduct research and analysis, generate ideas, structure data and build end-to-end machine-learning solutions.
This is an exciting opportunity that is on the forefront of a critical capability and priority for the bank. As a change agent, you will be providing thought leadership to business partners within BMO’s Insurance business on the value of data, analytics and machine learning while working directly with multiple lines of business across Wealth Management.
- Works with stakeholders to identify the business requirements, understand distinct problems and expected outcomes, and models and frames business scenarios which impact critical business processes and/or decisions.
- Works with various data owners to discover and select available data from internal sources and external vendors to fulfill analytical needs.
- Applies scripting / programming skills to assemble various types of source data (unstructured, semi-structured, and structured) into well-prepared datasets with multiple levels of granularities (e.g., demographics, customers, products, transactions).
- Develops agreed analytical solution by applying suitable statistical & machine learning techniques (e.g., prototype solutions, mathematical models, machine learning, deep learning, artificial intelligence) to test, verify, refine hypotheses.
- Summarizes statistical findings and draws conclusions, presents actionable business recommendations. Presents findings & recommendations in a simple, clear way to drive action.
- Makes strategic recommendations on data collection, integration and retention requirements incorporating business requirements and knowledge of best practices.
- Structures loosely defined and complex business problems; determines new experimentation methods and statistical techniques to design solutions.
- Drives analytics innovation; poses open-ended questions, explores new ideas, and chooses appropriate techniques for solving business problems.
- Oversees the development and delivery of tools and training for data and analytics.
- Diagnoses and resolves predictive / analytical model performance issues while monitoring system performance and implementation of efficiency improvements.
- Applies innovative and best practices to advanced analytics services to ensure high quality standards.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
- Typically 7+ years of relevant experience and/or certification in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced degree (PhD) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, or other quantitative disciplines and/or equivalent experience.
- In depth experience using machine learning algorithms.
- Experience with distributed computing language (e.g. Hive / Hadoop/ Spark) & cloud technologies (e.g. AWS Sagemaker, AzureML).
- Experience with programming languages (e.g. R, Python, SQL) and machine learning /deep learning algorithms/packages (e.g. XGBoost, H2O, SparkML).
- Seasoned professional with a combination of education, experience and industry knowledge.
- Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth / Expert.
- Analytical and problem solving skills – In-depth / Expert.
- Influence skills – In-depth / Expert.
- Collaboration & team skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration – In-depth / Expert.
- Able to manage ambiguity and multiple projects.
- Data driven decision making – In-depth / Expert.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.