You’ve got big plans. We have opportunities to match, and we’re committed to empowering you to become a better you, no matter what you do.
When you join KPMG you’ll be one of over 200,000 professionals providing audit, tax, advisory and business enablement services across 154 countries.
With the support to do things differently, grow personally and professionally and bring your whole self to work, there’s no limit to the impact you can make. Let’s do this.
KPMG’s Accounting Advisory Services in Toronto is looking for a Senior Consultant to join their dynamic team.
The Accounting Advisory Services team is a group of dedicated professionals, with a collaborative working environment that leverages the strengths of the members, who are committed to providing the best possible service to our clients. We are currently looking for individuals who are passionate about using their technical accounting, financial reporting and project management skills in a fast-paced cross functional environment to conquer a wide spectrum of accounting and financial reporting challenges, including IFRS 17 Insurance Contracts and system implementations. The successful candidates will provide services to both private and public clients within the insurance industry within and outside Canada.
IFRS 17 Insurance Contracts is the most substantial regulatory change to hit the insurance sector in years and our teams are at the front lines assisting clients design and execute implementation plans, including delivering training and education, responding to ad hoc technical queries, designing and implementing calculation methodologies, software solutions, internal and external reporting solutions.
Individuals who have strong project management skills, an aptitude for problem solving, an ability to communicate technical concepts in plain language, and enjoy brainstorming accounting solutions to evolving fact patterns in a team environment will thrive in this role. Working in this role will provide the opportunity to enhance one’s existing technical and operational accounting skills and to build upon analytical, written and oral communication skills. This role will also provide candidates with opportunities to develop skills related to business development, management and growth which would also support further career progression within Accounting Advisory and KPMG.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing a depth of expertise that combines financial reporting knowledge and practical experience to proactively help clients address their accounting and financial reporting challenges. The successful candidate needs to be malleable and interested in doing ‘a different thing every day’ supporting a large range of functions and individuals. Being a quick learner with an aptitude towards technical accounting and have the organizational skills to juggle competing deadlines are also key. Audit experience or technical accounting experience in industry is beneficial.
The successful candidate should also be savvy with technology applications and excel, to be able to support clients with their implementation of such applications, in addition to data modelling.
What you will do
- Executing the delivery of accounting advisory engagements under IFRS and take ownership of the engagements from start to finish, which will require strong project management skills, including managing client deliverables and expectations.
- Remain current on applicable and evolving financial reporting standards and securities and regulatory requirements and developing accounting/business issues.
- Assist clients with a broad scope of financial reporting activities, including the preparation of financial statements, preparation of working papers and liaising with the clients’ auditors.
- Assist clients with evaluating the requirements of accounting, reporting and disclosure standards, preparing supporting analyses, including drafting reports and presentations, and analyzing differences between different accounting frameworks.
- Develop fit-for-purpose solutions through obtaining understanding of clients’ preferences and business constraints.
- Work with broader KPMG advisory teams including Management Consulting, Risk Consulting and Deal Advisory, in support of process/control redesign and advising on other business implications to your clients when assessing the impact of accounting change.
What you bring to the role
- Relevant post-secondary degree and/or CPA, CA (or recognized national accounting designation).
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving capabilities and a desire to enhance technical skills through researching and analyzing accounting standards, including an ability to distill the principle out of complex accounting standards (including basis for conclusions and implementation guidance) and an ability to process complex fact patterns and scenarios.
- Knowledge of the new insurance standard, IFRS 17 Insurance Contracts and IFRS 9, Financial Instruments.
- Experience working in the insurance or financial services industries.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (including preparation of technical memos and presentations), with the ability to ‘uncomplicate the complicated’ by expressing ideas clearly, convincingly and concisely to both external and internal stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to deliver assignments on time, as well as manage competing demands, without sacrificing attention to detail.
- Versatility and adaptability to a dynamic and often fast-paced environment.
- Extensive knowledge of Excel and experience with advance functions within Excel including pivot table and VLookup.
- Experience with tactical or strategic system implementation, including data discovery, configuration and/or testing.
- Roles may also require the ability and willingness to travel, sometimes extensively, within Canada and the U.S., as well as internationally (when legally permissible)
Keys to your success:
- A ‘client first’ mentality, with the ability to understand the client’s business and maintain internal and external networks.
- A self-starter who proactively leverages available resources and tools and applies sound judgment throughout the process to formulate pragmatic solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work under time constraints and manage multiple and competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) complex information to various audiences in a clear, understandable and persuasive manner.
Learn more about where a career at KPMG can take you. #LI-LB1
Our Values, The KPMG Way
Integrity, we do what is right Excellence, we never stop learning and improving Courage, we think and act boldly Together, we respect each other and draw strength from our differences For Better, we do what matters
KPMG in Canada is a proud equal opportunities employer and we are committed to creating a respectful, inclusive and barrier-free workplace that allows all of our people to reach their full potential. A diverse workforce is key to our success and we believe in bringing your whole self to work. We welcome all qualified candidates to apply and hope you will choose KPMG in Canada as your employer of choice.
If you have a question about accessible employment at KPMG, or to begin a confidential conversation about your individual accessibility or accommodation needs through the recruitment process, we encourage you to contact KPMG’s Employee Relations Service team for support at email: [email protected] or phone: 416-777-8002 or toll free 1-888-466-4778 Option 3.
For general recruitment-related inquiries, please contact the HR Delivery Centre at [email protected] .