Bonsai’s mission is to help people find and buy the products they want, as soon as they realize they want them. We began in 2016 as a streetwear style and news app. Now we’re leading the market shift to content-driven commerce. We are helping publishers launch e-commerce as a new line of business. While digital media has embraced many different revenue models over the years, and several versions just within e-commerce (everything from affiliates to D2C brand development), very few have amounted to a core revenue line. We already do this for over 200M+ monthly unique visitors on some of North America’s leading publishers, including BuzzFeed and Complex, but the opportunity is still largely untapped.
Our technology allows users to transact natively while browsing content. We make the journey from seeing a product to buying it possible in two taps. Our vision is to make this possible everywhere you discover products. For publishers, we provide a powerful revenue alternative to ads that also improves the user experience. For merchants, Bonsai allows them to capture customers while they browse content, right when purchasing intent is being formed.
At Bonsai, we pride ourselves on the transparent and performance-driven environment we’ve created for our team. We value making data driven-decisions and taking calculated risks that add value to our users.
We are looking for an additional Senior Backend Developer to become an integral and influential part of our Core API team and our broader development community. You will be helping to drive the direction of technology, strategizing on how to implement new features and practices. You will also help introduce new tools and paradigms to the company inline with emerging best practices and the latest technology trends.
- Working to reliably and consistently release code to production, aiming to constantly reduce the amount of time from initial ideation to production release.
- Architect new projects and services. As well as maintain multiple projects with modern stack using functional and declarative code.
- Work cross-functionally with other teams from Product Management to customer experience to gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs.
- Troubleshooting real-world production issues under fire.
- Participate in code reviews with other teammates.
- Mentoring and supporting more junior teammates.
- Troubleshoot, test and maintain code and ensure it is optimized, performs well and is high quality.
- Solid experience as a backend developer and have shipped a variety of different products
- Excellent knowledge and strong experience of NodeJS in production
- You’re an excellent communicator, your concise and can break technical explanations down if needed
- Great organizational and time management skills
- Some experience with large-scale software system design
- Some experience with queues (RabbitMQ, SQS, etc)
- Massive bonus if you have experience in any of the following stack:
- Relational databases (Postgres, SQL, mySQL)
- Cloud platform expertise
- Some test framework (jest, mocha)
- Previous experience in building ecommerce companies
What to expect:
- Review – you’ll hear from us regardless
- Intro Call – a quick call with the Head of People to discuss the role and learn who you are!
- An interview with some of the team – 45 minutes to go over your background, the role and Bonsai. Also, an excellent time for you to ask any questions you have.
- Take-Home Assessment – a realistic problem to solve on your own time
- Virtual Interview – a 2-hour interview to meet the team, and your chance to interview us.
- Offer – Ideally, this is the part where we make the offer, you accept, and we all celebrate!
At Bonsai, we are committed to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive environment where our employees feel valued, heard, and supported. We believe that a commitment to diversity, inclusion and belonging enables us to do the best work of our lives – building the future of content and commerce! We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, experience, and perspectives regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, citizenship, disability, and national origin.
Bonsai welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the hiring and selection process. If you require accommodations or have any questions, please email us at [email protected]