41184 – Toronto – Rotation – 12 months
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Support the Distribution Line of Business in maintaining financial integrity, compliance and effective financial reporting.
- Develop and implement financial oversight processes for monthly financial reviews, budget preparation, and the collection of data for economic analysis. This includes reporting on historical spending, identifying project & program variances and providing variance explanations on a monthly basis.
- Assist individual department in defining requirements and evaluating outputs produced each year with the objective of providing a clearer picture of ongoing work and the benefits associated herewith.
- Provide advice, guidance, recommendations and direction to line staff and management regarding all manner of financial issues, including interpretation of financial and accounting policies, internal control policies, procedures, practices and guidelines.
- Review, revise and coordinate reporting systems with a view to assessing their impact on the distribution business as a whole, ensure systems reflect corporate needs and the needs of distribution business. Assess problem areas, discuss with supervisor and responsible managers, develop and implement revised systems and process improvements and initiatives that best meet the needs.
- Participate in the preparation of the business plans and budgets, and accumulating information into appropriate formats. Provide assessment of submitted plans and budgets for accuracy and ensure consistency of budgets with approved Business Plans. Report, analyze and explain budget variances.
- Provide business support to the distribution business in project administration including capitalization, release, work order and reporting activities.
- Rectify the day-to-day problems associated with areas of responsibility, attend team meetings and participate in task forces as assigned.
- Prepare and review financial evaluations of expenditure decisions to ensure documents submitted meet corporate requirements, that the financial assessments are accurately done and the appropriate escalation and present value factors have been used, that the financial evaluation, including assumptions, is analytically sound, and that the financially preferred alternative has been correctly identified.
- Contribute to the reporting process by analyzing inputs received from various groups throughout the organization. Develop and maintain tools and reports related to project costing and status using BI and ECC.
- Prepare analyses and information for senior management or other internal groups, including internal audit. Provide background information and rationale to support recommendations.
- Perform assigned research activities so that corporate financial requirements for rate review, budgets, etc, can be satisfied and coordinated with internal objectives. Collaborate with affected groups as required. Gather all pertinent data, evaluate and submit recommendations and/or findings to supervisor for consideration.
- Participate as required in preparing and conducting formal presentations.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Requires a comprehensive knowledge of business, finance, economics, mathematics, analytical techniques, and computer systems to analyze, develop and implement business systems for the collection of data related to budgets and business plans.
- Requires experience in a financial environment to become familiar with developing and implementing business systems for the collection of financial data, to develop analytical and costing techniques, familiarity with accounting and financial policies, principles and procedures and to be able to interrelate requirements with those pertaining to a variety of accounting and economic situations.
- Requires good interpersonal skills and a knowledge of communicative skills, oral and written, to prepare reports and collaborate with internal and external contacts.
- Requires a good knowledge of English to provide effective reports, presentations and communication with internal and external stakeholders.
- Requires advanced MS Office knowledge particularly Microsoft Excel (i.e. multiple linked worksheets, complex formulas, pivot table, file consolidation and lookup tables and functions), financial modeling, able to conduct variance analysis and reconcile financial information.
- Requires experience with development of briefing materials, responses to interrogatories, transcripts and undertakings.
- Requires experience with the Company’s business planning processes and financial outputs, as well as reporting and analysis.
- Requires experience with SAP (ECC, PS, PM, SD and FI Modules) or equivalent systems to develop and apply information systems and use information from systems within the business unit.
- Requires experience with BI or equivalent application to develop, design and maintain reports.
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritizing skills to ensure productivity and quality of the output.
- Must be independent and self-motivated with the ability to be resourceful, and work effectively in a team environment.
- Experience with regulated utility industry is considered an asset.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of a four year university education in business administration, accounting or commerce plus a recognized accounting designation (CGA, CMA, CPA) or by having the equivalent level of experience.
A period of four to eight years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: February 1, 2021
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.