David Aplin Group, one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, has partnered with our client to recruit fora Programmer, based in Linden, Alberta. This client is owned by a public company, traded on the TSX Venture, and matching stock programs are available (up to 2.5%), along with RRPS’s and FREE HOUSING.
The Programmer works closely with the Production Coordination / Scheduling team and other applicable team members from the Production Facility (e.g., Foreman, Shop Supervisor, Machinist) to ensure efficient and effective production of end products/parts and create high-quality customer service and satisfaction.
Relocation to Linden or the surrounding area is required. Housing & Utilities are provided at the cost of the company. If you live in Calgary you will have a gas allowance for travel, or FREE housing is available Monday – Friday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtain the traveller from the Production area; review the drawings, material to be used, steps/processes to be taken, etc.
- Determine what fixtures to use including tooling; determine the appropriate machine to run the program on taking into consideration the availability of machines and timelines/deadlines.
- Review the program list to determine if it is a proven program or a new program; regardless of a new program or existing / proven program, ensure correct data/information is entered into the program since this impacts the quality of programming and ultimately, the end product/part being produced; be cognizant of potential issues in the machining process when creating or updating a proven program; if the program exists in the system / on the server, determine if the program is up-to-date/valid to use; if the program is valid to use, print off set-up sheets.
- For a new part being produced, create fixtures (if required); create new set-up sheets and decide the order of operations including steps to be taken; update the E2 software system with applicable data, if required.
- If creating a new fixture as part of the program, create and maintain a serial number system for fixture(s).
- Create and maintain an accurate serial number system for tooling used since the Foreman is responsible for creating and maintain a cataloging system and library for tooling.
- Ensure job package is complete and accurate for Production facility use / Machinist use; upon parts being produced / completion of the production job, obtain the job package; ensure set-up sheets are updated in the software system / on the server.
- Ensure the program is saved with the latest version on the server.
- Work with and mentor machinists and operators, sharing strategies and ideas to improve machining practices.
- Promote and encourage the exchange of information, new ideas, and approaches to improve efficiencies on new and existing programs and operations with the goal of constant improvement.
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained, and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- On a job by job basis / throughout the day, properly enter the correct job data into the E2 software system using the job traveller to obtain the correct job information; accurately enter data (e.g., job #, step #).
- Adhere to quality procedures and work instructions, and actively participate in the quality improvement process.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, customers, and suppliers/vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly, and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Competencies : To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
- Attendance & Punctuality: Dependability and reliability; demonstration of regular and punctual attendance
- Communications:Interaction with Production, QC, and Management.
- Quality: Have a good understanding of a documented system, and knowledge of the ISO 9001 Quality System.
- Safety & Security: Is highly safety conscious, and wear appropriate PPE such as steel-toed shoes and safety glasses in designated areas.
- OHSA Act Section 3 (2) Every worker shall, while engaged in an occupation, take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of the worker and of other workers present while the worker is working, and co-operate with the worker’s employer for the purposes of protecting the health and safety of the worker, other workers engaged in the work of the employer, and other workers not engaged in the work of that employer but present at the worksite at which that work is being carried out.
- Experience working as a Machinist; Certified Machinist would be an asset
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Knowledge/experience with Gibbs Cam / Master Cam software
- Effective computer skills
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to conform to quality standards
- Familiarity with a variety of precision measuring tools
- Ability to work within tight tolerances
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Strong team player with a high level of initiative and integrity
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to work within tight deadlines
- Journeyman machinist or equivalent with at least 5 years of milling experience.
- Able to problem solve and work independently on programming, setting up and running complex parts
- 5-axis Programming experience using GibbsCAM software and solid modelling
- Solidworks and Fusion 360 experience an asset
- Capable of working with and mentoring others
- Education/Experience: High School Diploma or equivalent, additional education & / or trade school
- Language Ability: Communicates effectively in English (verbal and written)
- Computer Skills: Strong computer skills
- Certificates and Licenses: Journeyperson in Machining or recognized trade certificate
- Work Environment:
- Primarily indoor industrial work setting with moderate noise levels
- Overtime may be required
- Physical Demands:
- Possess the ability to sit and stand, including frequent walking, bending and twisting at the waist and knees, squatting or kneelin g
If you are interested in this position and meet the above criteria, please click the Apply button to send your resume in confidence directly to Greg Todesco , Senior Consultant, Engineering & Technical. Visit our website at www.aplin.com to view our job opportunities, career tips, and tools. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. #LI-DNP
WE APPRECIATE YOUR INTEREST IN DAVID APLIN GROUP.
If this is your first introduction to us, we invite you to become one of our satisfied candidates. David Aplin Group has been Canadian owned since 1975. Our professional consultants are passionate about helping you find a fulfilling job or career and ensuring your complete satisfaction with our process. Our proven track record, nearly four decades long, is largely due to our team of highly skilled and successful specialists. Through superior service and a commitment to long-term relationships, we provide deep specialization in core areas for complete recruiting and HR solutions across Canada – all from one source. We look forward to exceeding your expectations!
Learn more about David Aplin Group and view all of our current job opportunities, career tips, and tools at www.aplin.com.