Blackbird Interactive is looking for a strong developer for a graphics role on a major project to develop a unique visual style. Do you know how to get things done? Can you work with designers and artists to understand and implement what they need? We are looking for a talented team player eager to be a key part of our engineering team.
- Develop modern graphics features in a custom engine for a major franchise
- Optimize graphics code for the CPU and GPU across many platforms
- Work closely with artists to understand and refine their artistic vision via prototypes and rapid iteration
- Interact with other engineers to improve the whole technical team and process
- Jump wholeheartedly into learning new technologies and systems and leverage them in creative ways to meet our technical and business needs
- Assess requirements and provide effort estimates to guide an evolving development plan
- Embrace and help improve our engineering practices for solid design, testing, and implementation
- 5+ years of game development
- Strong understanding of modern C++
- Understanding of shader languages such as HLSL
- Passion for graphics programming and algorithms / mathematics (linear algebra, trigonometry)
- Good understanding of game content pipeline and tools
- Self direction and a proven ability to thrive in a highly dynamic environment
- Strong interdisciplinary collaboration skills, including verbal and written skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent post-secondary education
- Experience shipping AAA game(s) on multiple platforms
- Experience with Unity 3D, Unreal, or other similar full-featured game engine
- Console / Mobile development experience
- Demonstrated passion for games and technology
- Proven ability and interest in team leadership.
At Blackbird, we’re all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO’s garage, and even though we’re expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it’s important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we’ve demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it’s lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don’t expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.