Canada – Ontario, Thornhill
The Program and Project Management Group of AECOM is looking to build a pipeline of Professional Quantity Surveyor talent across the country to potentially work out of our offices located in Markham, ON, Ottawa, ON or Edmonton, AB (post-COVID.)
About AECOM Program and Project Management (PPM)
As an industry leader in program management and construction management services for large capital programs, AECOM oversees activities ranging from planning, coordination, scheduling and cost control, to design, construction and commissioning.
Large programs require the management, coordination and integration of multiple, concurrent assignments. From concept through completion, we provide necessary technical and administrative services to help our clients meet their program objectives. We act as an extension of our clients’ staff, protecting their interests as our own.
We specialize in serving both public and private clients with extensive expertise in community infrastructure, including facilities for education, healthcare, national governments, sports and leisure, transportation, water and public gathering venues.
Reporting to the Cost Manager, AECOM is currently seeking a Quantity Surveyor to provide quantity surveying/cost estimating support. The candidate will be required to complete estimating and cost planning requirements through pre-contract design phases but also in managing and assisting in post- contract change order review.
The candidate will:
- Assist in developing detailed cost estimates from engineering drawings; identify deficiencies and/or questions; and assist the project team toward the answers.
- Have an understanding for the make-up of net-costs; including review of equipment/material prices, labor rates/ fringe benefits
- Assist in completing comparative system cost options i.e. cost alternatives or Value Engineering and reviews to help the design team in selection processes through-out the pre-contract design phases.
- Be willing to accumulate, evaluate and document historical cost data for the development of future estimates.
- Assist in the preparation and / or review final Engineer’s estimate.
- Provide coordination and liaison with project management and project engineering personnel throughout the estimate development.
- Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or related field + 4 years of cost estimating experience directly related to both engineering and/or construction projects
- Demonstrated experience with all Architectural, Civil and Structural trades is required.
- Demonstrated experience with Change Order Analysis.
- Familiarity with CIQS/OIQS Cost Management.
- Review contract documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and cost allowances for scope changes.
- Assist with the determination of merit;
- Review the scope specified within the proposal to ensure it is specification compliant;
- Review labor rates to ensure conformance to the contract requirements.
- Review labor productivity to ensure that the labor hours are in conformance with contract working restrictions, overtime is appropriate, etc.;
- Review quantities and ensure there is a fair and reasonable representation of additional scope, as well as possible credits.
- Review pre-purchased material or equipment and/or equipment rental rates against fair and reasonable pricing references;
- Knowledge and experience of preparing cost plans at various stages of the design on large scale transportation, residential and commercial projects, including change management and when necessary, resolution of contractual claims
- Capable of interpreting design drawings and developing a cost plan from the early conceptual stage and through to pre-tender submission
- Ability to use Computer based Take-off Software to prepare cost estimates n accordance with the CIQS standard method of measurement, in both elemental and trade format
- PQS accreditation of the Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- Uniformat, and Masterformat Estimating Standards considered an Asset.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Cost Management and Consulting Services
Business Line PMCM
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 246651BR
Additional Locations CA – Edmonton, AB – 18817 Stony Plain Rd NW, CA – Ottawa, ON – 1150 Morrison Dr
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.