Sofina Foods Inc.
Reporting to the Manager, Product Development, the Product Development Specialist takes ownership for the development and commercialization of new and enhancement of existing products that meet operational, sales, marketing and financial expectations.
- Collaborate with marketing and sales to provide technical support, clarify product requirements and support product launch. Conduct product evaluation of competitive products;
- Lead new product development and plant trials. Prepare samples for customers and internal presentation. Coordinate distribution of samples;
- Determine packaging requirements with production and suppliers. Determine sources of packaging, etc. with Purchasing;
- Work with Corporate Laboratory and Quality Assurance on preparation and production of samples and their testing; nutritional analysis, shelf life studies;
- Develop product specifications and standard operating procedures; product formulation, process and critical to quality product specifications. Assist with creating and maintaining customer specifications;
- Ensure that developed products comply with government regulations and certification requirements. Assist with Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) label registration;
- Contact suppliers to source and test spices and seasonings (ingredients). Source alternate suppliers of existing ingredient, packaging and/or raw materials. Conduct research and testing of new ingredients, process techniques and packaging technologies;
- Detail product process in costing model. Assist Finance in the creation of BOMs;
- Interact with all departments including production, scheduling, quality assurance, regulatory affairs, purchasing, distribution, sales/marketing, procurement as well as suppliers and customers;
- Maintain R&D areas and fulfill other related duties.
- Post-secondary education in Food Science, Science, Engineering, Culinary or related field;
- A minimum of 3 years in quality assurance, product development or production;
- Meat industry experience preferred;
- Communication skills both oral and written;
- Analytical ability; methodical thinker and problem solver; attention to detail;
- Computer literacy (intermediate MS Word, MS Excel);
- Organizational and project management skills to manage projects from concept to market;
- Self-starter who will function under the direction of the VP, R&D with minimal supervision.